Water in intake

pafixitman

Reaction score
Finally had time to test my gp's and install the new Beru's today. I knew the cowl seal was bad, but I had a grommet under the air cleaner bolt so I have not been too concerned...Well image how sick I felt when I saw this. Yes, that is ice you see in the picture. I used a vacuumed out everything that I could in the intake after pulling the larger chunks of ice. Pulled the dip stick and no evidence of water in oil based on that.

Let me know your opinions of how f$#&ed I am. My thought is too pull all of the gp's and bar the motor over. My second thought is I am pulling the intake. 3rd thought is I am pulling heads. Truck has not been moved since I got back from MI end of October. It was very hard to start the day after I got home. Life (wedding, holidays etc) got in the way and here we are.

Right now it has a blue tarp wrapped around the motor. Calling for rain tomorrow so I will not be working on it until next week at the earliest now.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
plug the block heater in, wait till tomorrow, try to spin it over by hand,
if it does, fire it up!
if it dosent, pull glow plugs and turn by hand again, you will know more then.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what I would do......
plug in the motor and warm up the coolant.
pull the glowplugs and gently bar over the motor.
note any stiffness, if detected.....STOP.
get a squirter can and fill with 50/50 marvel and atf.
concentrate on the rearmost 4 cyls liberally filling them through the gp hole. let it soak in overnite. gently attempt to bar over again the next morning, if there is still resistance, try rotating just a little the opposite way. if there's easier movement, stop. grab the squirt bottle and fill up more of the marvel/atf mix and let it soak in.
what you are trying to achieve is avoiding rolling your rings due to corrosion in the cyl wall.
any attempts to "power through" resistance will damage the rings and leave you with a smoker for a motor.
good luck and post findings.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I think you're fine. Turning it over by hand is a good idea. It's not as though this truck lived its life in a garage before you got it.

I'm sure taking the precautions mentioned already will get you out of the woods.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Thanks guys. @laserjock provided a new LMC cowl seal that I just installed so she is water tight. (Thank you Mike!) Depending on the weather in the morning I will pull all 8 and see if she turns over by hand. If not I will follow tow kitty's suggestions.

I am really just mad at myself. This has been in the back of my mind since she is nose down hill with a factory air cleaner! I have now acquired a Banks Power Pack lid (courtesy of IDI spare parts south, AKA laserjock's garage) which is very cool since the truck has the Banks gauges and emblems for the power pack kit.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Nice score with Mike! Let us know how this turns out. Don't know about you but it got real nice and warm here today.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Removing the glow plugs. Using the block heater. Attempting to turn the engine thru one revolution is a grand idea. Before doing the turning please loosen the oil pan drain plug. If ANY WATER got past the rings it will be on the bottom and the first sucked up by the oil pump. If its down there get it out before turning the engine. That 3 1/3 months not running may have allowed "some" cylinder rust but may not too.

pafixitman

Reaction score
They are next to the spark plugs. At least that is what the kid at Autozone told me!LOL

Got a break in the rain yesterday and pulled two more but then it started raining on me again! I have gotten soft in my old age, not to mention I curse water now, so I called it quits. Very upsetting to find the dog catcher let a motor out of his garage with a Autolite plug though.

We are down one payroll person at work since 1/30 so I have been averaging 10 hr days combined with 1:20 one way commute. Got a issue with the master bath toilet that needs my attention tonight so y'all have to be patient for a bit! -Lame I know!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes life comes before pleasure. I can wait for a good put to date later.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Well I pulled 5 Autolites and 3 Berus. Started to bar it over and it was easy. Texted Mike, I was so happy. Went back to make sure it would go through a couple complete cycles.... Lets just say she is very stiff. I got some MM oil and ATF and mixed it. she is soaking now. Any benefit or harm to leaving the heater on all night? She has been plugged in for about 4.5 hours now. I will try to turn her over in the morning.

I am so pissed right now.