Wastegate

bagged89

Reaction score
hey guys, my dad has a 97 3406 cat 550 which is electronic, i was wondring if u guys knew how to get some more hp out of it. I heard that if u block off the wastegate somehow u can get more boost and feel a difference on top end. is this true? and if so will it hurt anything doing it? and how do u do it? his exh housing has the wastegate comming out then there is a line that runs off the wastegate and goes in the intake housing of the turbo. thanks in advance for anyhelp

bagged89

Reaction score
some i guess by the "high" traffic that no body has a clue? either that or just ignorant but im hoping its just the first one

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Sure you can block the hose to the wastegate actuator and it will boost up. We do it at the tractor pulls. I not so sure about all the time though.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
A 3406E putting out 550hp is pretty much at top power without doing other mods. A engine putting out 550hp is enough power especially if your only grossing 80,000lbs start grossing 140,000lbs and climbing 8-10% grades like we do here then you need power.

Blocking off the wastegate to get more boost isn't a good idea if you want more power get the electronics tweaked by Caterpillar or Pitsburg (sp) power.

bagged89

Reaction score
we haul 80,000 not gross it. its the load alone not tractor and trailer.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
The lowbed guys haul that on a regular basis around here some most logging equipment weighs around 35-50 ton most tractors are running Cats one I know of is only a 425 Mechanical the other guys are running Es. The 550hp Cat is the most common.

bagged89

Reaction score
I live in canada and my dads company is strickly flat bed, we only haul in ontario and quebec. We mostly haul lumber and steel tubing so rarely are we ever less then 80,000 for the load, its usually 80 - 85 thousand.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Legal gross weight in most places in Canada is 63,500kgs (139,992lbs).

Here in Canada Super B Flats (I'am not talking about musical notes) are really common you can get alot of weight on a set of B trains you can easily gross 63,500kgs.

When your grossing 140 you need a heavy spec'ed truck ie 46,000lb rear axles 18spd transmission and heavier chassis.

bagged89

Reaction score
Pacific said:
Legal gross weight in most places in Canada is 63,500kgs (139,992lbs).

Here in Canada Super B Flats (I'am not talking about musical notes) are really common you can get alot of weight on a set of B trains you can easily gross 63,500kgs.

When your grossing 140 you need a heavy spec'ed truck ie 46,000lb rear axles 18spd transmission and heavier chassis.

are trucks are about as heavy duty as they get, two speed rears and no doubt a 18spd, they have newway suspensions ( think its like over a $7000 option) any ways... most of our trailers are 5 and 6 axles, couple teeter taughters and clusters and im pretty sure with what we've got the max is 80,000 lbs of load but sometimes to make some money u gotta push that limit. there making it harder by the day to make any money in trucking these days, were getting pulled in the scales all the time and theres this new load securment **** out

bagged89

Reaction score
ya its so stupid. all straps have to have a tag with the specs on it as well as it has to be inked onto the strap.