Waste oil problems

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
This morning I went and started my truck after filling both tanks up with 90%waste oil and 10%mineral oil I have 70gallons laying around is the mineral oil story. Well it started great not plugged in at 44degrees I let it run for about 10 minutes to get things warmed up and then took off well I made it to the neighbors driveway and it ran out of fuel so I restarted it fired up slowly backed down to my driveway it died again out of fuel so I jumped under it to look for a place to put a fuel pump went and got one and put it in line under the drivers door on the frame I wired it to the key and a switch just in case. wel I fired it back up and took off down the road ran great turned off teh pump and it died almost instantly. I think the wmo was just a little to thick for the standard pumps to get up to the pump.
The only other problem I have had is that alot of garages also dump waste gas bad gas into therte waste oil so be very careful with this I smelled it thankgod before I put it into my filter system I have been adding about 3 gallons of the 55 drum at a time with no effects I put a vent on the drum to vent the gas out of it.

I think we need to watch the vicosity or add an additional pump if you dont want to get stranded somewhere on the road I also carry 5 gallons of diesel to pour in to thin it down if need be,;Sweet
On the last batch I made I got 33 miles to the gallon I had about 2 hours in making the batch of fuel and maybe 5.00 in materials. beats 210.00 at the pumps:thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've come to the conclusion after doing extensive reading is when you are runing 50% diesel and 50% WMO or whatever else you're throwing into the tank, the colder temps is not much of an issue. WVO requires a higher percentage of diesel due to the viscosity of the stuff.
Irregardless, if you're pushing for higher percentage levels of fuel cocktails, you will run a risk of damaging your IP.
Nice thing about Kali, is the stuff that goes into the WMO collection tank is a regulated item. Bad gas is a nono as well as cholorinated hydrocarbons. Shops get hit with a huge bill as well as a fine if the presence of either is found in the oil.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem today, I made a miscalculation and over filled it with oil, when I went to the pump I only got 3 gal in it. SO with a temp of about 35 today I figure it was too heavy to pump to the filter cause about a mile down the road it bogged so I flipped tanks and got home. Reved it to 3K and put it on the rear tank, and after a minute or so the Fuel filter light came on, so I flipped it back and went to Columbus. Thats why I only use the rear tank for blending things.

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
i also seem to be having this problem. i was thinking it was about 50/50 mix possibly a lil more. everytime i switch to my rear tank it will start to die when i throttle up. now i am stuck with a full tank. gotta lessen the mixture now somehow.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the last batch I made I got 33 miles to the gallon I had about 2 hours in making the batch of fuel and maybe 5.00 in materials. beats 210.00 at the pumps:thumbsup:

33 miles to the gallon on waste oil? What kind of rig with two tanks?

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a 8 hour trip this past weekend on a 40-45% hyd oil blend. 14.3mpg and she ran like a top. I don't plan on running much higher percentages of oil.... So far so good.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to install my electric lift pump before next fall. I dont think the stock pump can handle the thicker fuel at colder temps.
I might even build a new rear tank with a drain valve and a heat exchanger. We'll see what happens over the summer...

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have collected about 110 gallons of used motor oil and now I'm ready to start filtering it. My question is what are you guys using to filter your old motor oil, And how many micron rating filters are you using. I read somewhere we need to filter down to 5 microns or less and I cant seem to find any fuel filter or oil filter that will filter that low. Only thing I found was a water filter and I don't know if that will work for oil?

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
get a house hold water filter I got them at manards the canisters are like 8.00 and then I get my yarn 1 micron filters at buckeye field supply I will take some pictures of my crude setup when i get home tomorrow night.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
I think my mileage has alot to do with mineral oil and being all stock I checked it today since i was late to work and was doing 70 for 30 some miles and it doesnt do as well running at that high rpms and my truck doesnt like running that hard either. I need some diffrent gears to go fast.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup i use a golden rod 10 mic filter first then a house water filter for 1 mic filtering.

fortunatly i havent run into any issues with the oil being to thick yet (knock on wood) maybe my lift pump is just healthier???? either way i dont want to run into this issue and am looking at a better fuel pump. my plan is to install my heating system with a tank long term so i can dump WMO and WVO oil in and not worry about it. it won't hurt to have the oil nice and hot going in the engine. i know that is one of the ways used oil furnaces work better is because of pre heating.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just wasn't sure if you could push the oil through a water filter. How abouts are you guys pushing it through the filters?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
gravity......that took a LONG time though so i added a air regulator and put around 20 PSI to it. now i can filter 5 gallons in 10-15 min instead of hours for gravity. if you set your tank higher than your filters gravity would work better but my filters are mounted right to the bottom of my tank.

i have put several hundred gallons through my set up and am still on the original filters

72f2504x4390

Reaction score
Gravity is hella slow. My setup is 55 gallon drums. I think I get about 3-5 gallons per day but thats at 30 degrees with hydraulic oil. Same filtering setup as Jred except I have my stock water seperator before it goes into the filters.

I run an electric lift pump. Mallory comp 110 pump. 50/50 hydraulic and diesel. Down as low as 25 degrees and no problems all winter.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I use air pressure like Jred, 10 minutes to do 20L....I'm running 30% WMO right now, so far so good....I think 50/50 will be my top mix, I don't want headaches or drivability issues as this thing is my DD. If I can keep my fuel bill to $50/week or less I'm happy. Diesel is $1.40/liter here right now and climbing....If it goes really nuts this summer I'll look at heavy concentrations of WMO and some equipment upgrades to burn it year round. I think ATF is the key to thicker mixtures, it should help it light faster and burn hotter/cleaner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726