warn premium hubs.....

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
....to replace the auto hubs in my D50 .
I shelled one crawling up a 30 deg hill to a job.....squeals like a pig in 4X but quiet in 2X so I'm hoping all else is well

Who has done them and is $300 too much to pay for them?
I can install myself LOL

The place I got that price from also said I do not need the adaptor kit.....I was under the impression in order to convert auto to manual a kit was needed in order to be able to use the 5 set screws on the manual covers:confused:

MERRY CHRISTMAS you guyz :cheers:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I put manuals on my f350 and $300 is way to much I think I only paid around $150 for the hubs and $60 for the kit and what I've read is that if you have 3 bolt auto's you need the kit but if you have 5 bolt autos you don't but I don't know other then if when you get all the autos guts out and if you have 2 seperate spanner nuts with a lock ring your good to go if you only have one spanner nut with a key way keeper you need the kit

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Warn premiums are pensive, but well worth it if you do any mudding, pulling etc. I have a set and they were $200+ for my D60, so I would say that is in the ballpark. You may be able to find cheaper hubs, or maybe even the Warn Premies for less, but I would say that is close.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help you on the cost factor or the kit question geo, but my truck already had them when I bought it.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The number of bolts in the cap have nothing to do with the adapter kit. The bolts thread into the hub that is being replaced anyway. The auto to manual adapter kit is nothing more than a set of spindle nuts. The automatic hubs use a nut with a tapered side that part of the hub rides on. The hub also holds a little key in that keps the nut on. When you change to manual hubs the new hub does not ride on the tapered part of the spindle nut anymore so there is nothing keeping the little key in that keeps the nut on. The replacement nuts are the old style nuts with the 4 slots and washer in the middle.
Ken

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The number of bolts in the cap have nothing to do with the adapter kit. The bolts thread into the hub that is being replaced anyway. The auto to manual adapter kit is nothing more than a set of spindle nuts. The automatic hubs use a nut with a tapered side that part of the hub rides on. The hub also holds a little key in that keps the nut on. When you change to manual hubs the new hub does not ride on the tapered part of the spindle nut anymore so there is nothing keeping the little key in that keeps the nut on. The replacement nuts are the old style nuts with the 4 slots and washer in the middle.
Ken

well thats what I thought too but I've only had the 3 bolt autos apart and from what I've read the guys that have changed over the 5bolt auto the hub is built different and already has the spindle nuts

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
well thats what I thought too but I've only had the 3 bolt autos apart and from what I've read the guys that have changed over the 5bolt auto the hub is built different and already has the spindle nuts

The hub and the spindle nuts are 2 totaly different parts. I have been working on vehicles both professionally and as a hoby for the last 20 years and have never seen a hub/spindle nut combination. The bolts thread into the hub body itself and that hub body is replaced by changing the locking hub assy. If yu just want to change the cap than the bolt count matters. If you are changing the whole hub it does not because you are getting the whole locking hub assy (both hub body and cap)
Ken

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
This would be ALOT simpiler if I had a D60 LOL

Only issue right now is a duce or so for the hubs VS a grand or more for the D60 :D

:thanks: guys for the replys :cheers:

Isn't the TTB 50 a 44 with 60 hubs anyway :confused:

BTW....MERRY CHRISTMAS :D

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
The hub and the spindle nuts are 2 totaly different parts. I have been working on vehicles both professionally and as a hoby for the last 20 years and have never seen a hub/spindle nut combination. The bolts thread into the hub body itself and that hub body is replaced by changing the locking hub assy. If yu just want to change the cap than the bolt count matters. If you are changing the whole hub it does not because you are getting the whole locking hub assy (both hub body and cap)
Ken

yeah yeah I get all that trust me I've change lots of auto hubs over to manuals and always needed the conversion kit for the spindle nuts even on the rangers and half tons but all of them have been 3bolt autos never worked on any 5 bolt auto hubs but from guys that have the 5 bolt autos they say they already have the 2 spindle nuts and the lock ring like the manual hubs

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle