VOLVO Coolant??

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used an Volvo equipment coolant in their truck?? I am curious because I read about guys using Cat coolant, and happened to think that I have access to almost 5 gallons of Volvo coolant for free. Everything is flushed out of my motor and radiator(the best I could get it) and I am putting on a bypass coolant filter when it all goes back together. I tried looking on the label but couldnt find much information in english. The part number is VOE-11715728. Just curious if this stuff might be good for the truck or if I should leave it alone and just go to Napa and get some Fleetguard and some additive, and test strips? Ive read quite a bit about all this coolant stuff, but its still pretty fuzzy to my small, simple mind. Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Google Volvo coolant, then you find out for yourself.
Did you drain the block by removing the plug on each side? Get Fleetgard coolant 4 gallons of concentrate and 4 gallons of steam distilled water, Fleetgard has the SCA in it already and it's good for 100,000 miles, forget about the test strips. If you put a coolant filter on and use the Fleetgard, be sure the filter is NOT precharged with SCA.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
RLDSL will chime in about this coolant when he can. He will surely know about it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
RLDSL will chime in about this coolant when he can. He will surely know about it.

I'm familiar with the 9434699-6 Volvo coolant that is used in the cars I used to work on, but that stuff that you guys are talking about is for the Volvo trucks. I can't find much in English on the stuff either, but considering that Volvo is the largest truck manufacturer in the entire world, I can't imagine that the stuff would harm anything on wheels, considering all the different powerplants that they make available in one place or another ( which would be basically every decent commercial engine on earth )

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought up the subject about antifreeze with an older guy I used to know years ago. He recently passed away this year, but was probably the funniest guy I knew who spent his entire life in the Lodi area. Sure do miss him. Anyways, I remembered him telling me it didn't really matter what you put in the radiator. When he was a young man, he was showing his classic car at some local parade in Lodi when all of a sudden his car started to overheat. He also had 2 kegs of coors beer in the back seat...so him and his friends popped the hood and filled the radiator with beer hahahahaha. He was so upset to waste the liquid gold but his car finished the parade.
In my opinion, as long as there is SCA protection in antifreeze, call it good. Set it and forget it! And if in doubt, fill radiator with beer.....because most people have a steady supply on board lol.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I brought up the subject about antifreeze with an older guy I used to know years ago. He recently passed away this year, but was probably the funniest guy I knew who spent his entire life in the Lodi area. Sure do miss him. Anyways, I remembered him telling me it didn't really matter what you put in the radiator. When he was a young man, he was showing his classic car at some local parade in Lodi when all of a sudden his car started to overheat. He also had 2 kegs of coors beer in the back seat...so him and his friends popped the hood and filled the radiator with beer hahahahaha. He was so upset to waste the liquid gold but his car finished the parade.
In my opinion, as long as there is SCA protection in antifreeze, call it good. Set it and forget it! And if in doubt, fill radiator with beer.....because most people have a steady supply on board lol.

I've been out in the desert and blown a hose and lacking the first hand beer, after patching the hose, we ended up having to fill the cooling system with 2nd hand beer :eek: but I sure as heck wouldnt recommend it as a regular fill ;Really

There's a number of things with certain modern coolants that can cause trouble when mixed with certain metals, let alone I can't imagine what 2nd hand beer does for some of these modern engines :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Adding an egg will stop a radiater leak too. So will black pepper. Now I have no idea how you would get that stuff out afterwards...

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you use an egg in the radiator to stop a leak, use only the egg whites or you will have scambled eggs in your cooling system and it will plug cooling passages and cause more problems than the leak you are trying to patch. The egg will mostly stick to the area where the leak is and the rest of it will stay suspended in the coolant, flush the cooling system with cascade or dawn and it will take care of it.

91F350idi

Cody S.
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I couldnt find anything about specs on that stuff, but I think with the kind of luck I have, I better stick with something that we already know works. I know everybody has to go out on a limb sometimes and take a risk so others will know the answer, but I would hate to get it all back together and have seals start leaking or it react to a metal somewhere in motor or radiator or cooler or something and cause issues down the road. I know that the big Volvo 150E/F loaders here at work always look brand new anytime we see in the cooling systems of them and one of them has over 15000 hours on it. Never a spec of corrosion or sludge or anything. Thats what first made me think about this option. I went to Napa yesterday and picked up my filter head and filter (that they practically gave me with my company discount) and they knocked the Fleetguard(or whatever it was called) down to like 9 bucks a gallon with me discount(normal price was almost $14 a gallon, so Ill just get some of that when Im ready I guess