Verrah happy i own a IDI.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
So my past two weeks have included....

2002 Caddy Deville Northstar for an oil pan gasket, turned into a nightmare as i broke a few of the mainbolts through the oil distrubution plate. Had about 30 hours in it drilling out the broken bolts and time serting the block.

A Ford 6.0 for head gaskets and egr delete.
A Ford 6.4 for a replacement motor
Diagnosed another 6.4 for a oil/coolant mix problem (cavitation behind water pump, 4th one i've seen like this)
2003 Duramax for 8 injectors
2003 duramax for a replacement motor (had oil/fuel coming out dipstick!)
Had a Sterling Bullet come in the shop with a melted DPF also but warrenty

Got two powerstroke 7.3's at the shop i gotta look at tommorow (think one needs an idm and the other has a leak at the oil cooler)

That was just a highlight of the "fun"... Finished up a timing belt on a Tundra and headed home tonight about midnight. Lovely 6 month old airtex mechanical fuel pump that i shoved back on the motor after breaking my Duralift gave up the ghost and i walked back to the shop. Grabbed the 20+ year old mechanical pump that i saved off the donor truck and tossed that in on the side of the road. Other than a 7.3 for a CPS, i can't imagine having a simple roadside fix for any of those trucks. Feel bad for the duramax guys though.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun week cookoo
I like how i have been working on mine in the parking lot in front of my dorm room lol. Security guy doesnt like it much tho.:D

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That sounds extremely eventful....I hope your walk back to the shop wasn't too bad. Ain't it grand how simple these engines are?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun week cookoo
I like how i have been working on mine in the parking lot in front of my dorm room lol. Security guy doesnt like it much tho.:D

I rebuilt the rear axle in my old F150 infront of my dorm in the freezing cold in Orlando after i sheared the pinion head off at Orlando speed world. Yea, UCF police didn;t like that very much.

I just need to do an oil change on the truck tommorow so i might take my benz to work and do it when i get home. I checked the dipstick and i'm overfull... :mad:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I rebuilt the rear axle in my old F150 infront of my dorm in the freezing cold in Orlando

was that in the 40's:D thats t shirt weather around here

got to love the simple (and cheap) to fix stuff. eay to carry some spares behind the seat and get back on the road if needed with some simple hand tools.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
that dmax stuff is common on those years. mine had all 8 injectors done at 90000. they leak fuel into the crankcase. isnt a cheap replacement either. luckly mine were still under warrenty.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of the cavitation problems on the 6.4s. I thought they were pretty good motors... :confused:

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
cavitates behind water pump allowing coolant and oil to mix. PLate is suppose to be replaceable except when you drive them till they have a rod knock.

JSinAlaska

Reaction score
We have 4 duramax motors at my work, err as I call them.. duracrap! My '89 IDI will run circles around them... doesn't eat injectors.. doesn't have starting problems, shutting down problems... random smoking problems... like the duramax.. just plain simple and runs!