Van engineers must die part 2

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Aw come on it isn't really all that bad. You just have to have patience grasshopper.
I like working on them so much I have 2 vans. My 87 is 4x4 & moms 88 is a 15 pass. Both diesel. I put a pump & injectors on mine 3 yrs. ago & would like to put a baby moose pump on moms sometime soon unless I find a turbo then it would be a reg moose pump.I'll also do injectors (reg. ones) at the same time.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aw come on it isn't really all that bad. You just have to have patience grasshopper.
I like working on them so much I have 2 vans. My 87 is 4x4 & moms 88 is a 15 pass. Both diesel. I put a pump & injectors on mine 3 yrs. ago & would like to put a baby moose pump on moms sometime soon unless I find a turbo then it would be a reg moose pump.I'll also do injectors (reg. ones) at the same time.

it would have been MUCH easier without the turbo in the way..2 days easier!!..

oh...and the turbo...worth the price...its frickin AMAZING how much it wakes that 6.9 up!!

TDW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your post makes me shiver a bit.

Well I'm new to IDI Van ownership, and so far I've replaced the vacuum pump, and brake master cylinder. I'll make sure to set aside some time when I get deeper in and replace injectors and whatnot.

I'll be taking the old van on a tour this summer starting in Oregon, on to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, and I'm looking for some advice on what parts I should be changing now, and what parts I should bring along? Power steering pump is leaking, so I'm thinking of replacing that in the near future.

:D Hope you don't mind me hijacking your post!

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your post makes me shiver a bit.

Well I'm new to IDI Van ownership, and so far I've replaced the vacuum pump, and brake master cylinder. I'll make sure to set aside some time when I get deeper in and replace injectors and whatnot.

I'll be taking the old van on a tour this summer starting in Oregon, on to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana, and I'm looking for some advice on what parts I should be changing now, and what parts I should bring along? Power steering pump is leaking, so I'm thinking of replacing that in the near future.

:D Hope you don't mind me hijacking your post!

make SURE its the PS pump...I changed mine when I did the radiator...it turned out to be the FRICKIN STEERING BOX thats STILL leaking..(worse than before!)..

get a fuel filter and a quart of ATF...when she needs changed..dump the ATF (should take almost all of the quart) into the filter...easier to carry around than a quart of diesel...

how many miles does your girl have?...
since I got her...

I did brake master and booster (when the master leaks it eats the rubber from the booster)..

all the brakes with NEW calipers up front and a few lines that broke when I swapped the rear cylinders ou...

the radiator cus it was plugged..
the rear heat radiaitor cus it leaked..
ALL the hoses on the entire van (they were all rotten when I got her)..
headlight switch and high-beam switch..(they were fried)
upgraded to projector lights..

did the heater bypass mod using the crownvic heater bypass controler (its on here somewhere..helps dump the heat outta the cabin)...

hood scoops to dump heat outta the motor..

flush and changed all but the rear axle fluid..

kingpins on the front..(paid a buddy that works at a big truck shop to do them..he got them for HALF what I could..so I kept him supplyeed with beer for a week...STILL was cheaper!!)

new series 31 batteries..

ya GOTTA get a pyro to make sure your not gona melt her down...(piece of mind...do a search under my name for PYRO..cheap and great kit!)

I did the turbo cus I was towin with it...injectors and IP cus it was close to due and I had the cash...if the turbo was off it woulda been MUCH easier...

I would carry a filter..basic hand tools..do a good service (grease and oils)...and just enjoy it...mine origoinaly came from Seattle..I have the logbook from the origonal owner and gas receipts from ALL OVER the west coast...and traveling to NC in 96...I got her in 05/06..rescued her from a guy that was gonna steal her heart for a truck and scrap her...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online