Valve starting to stick

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the valve covers and check ALL valve springs, any burnt black ones are bad, they also break but that would cause a continuous noise, not just startup. Find some essentiallube from hydrotex, 8 ounces in your oil will take care of any sticky lifter.
Lifters bleed down overnight, thats perfectly normal.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If valve is stuck...

Say ex stuck...the motion of piston will make some noise out intake...and visa versa

Just saying....air will be moving about at wrong times and should likely create some kind of audible noise.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The dreaded chuff...
The "chuff" isn't really from the valve sticking (although it could be). It's mainly from worn exhaust valve guides that don't let the valve seat completely. I'm not really sure that our engines have much of a problem with valves sticking. Since they are a VERY close tolerance engine in the valve area, it couldn't stick open very far without contacting the piston and then something will give, in a BAD way.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
This is the oil 3 days after the oil change I did 2 mondays ago. (See Picture)

So I kept oil for another week and added gunks valve medic with sludge guard and that stuff works! the MMO did not help me at all, infact only seemed to happen more often afterwards. So I ran the valve medic for a couple of days and then did an oil change (same oil as in picture.)

So I put some new oil in and added rislone engine treatment and let me say after a week of the new oil after valve medic it is FAARR cleaner now, after adding the rislone the sticking seems to get less often and truck sounds better. I will do another change at 2,500 miles and do another treatment of rislone and see what it looks like. Rislone and valve medic for the win!

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726