valve problems

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm I think I have a problem here. I have exhaust gases coming through the valve spring on the number 5 cylinder. Now that tells me that either the valve spring is broken or the valve is broken. What are the chances it is just a spring? And how do I fix this problem HELP!!!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
many may disagree with me....
but this is common on older head/valve trains.
I've had motors do it for a long time without any problems.

Obviously if it starts knocking, or shows any other problems, you may need to fix it.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Soiunds like to me that your valve guides are worn which keeps the valve from shutting fully - if it were me I would yank the heads and give her a valve job.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I limped the truck 45 miles to my grandmother's house to pull the heads this weekend. I hope it doesn't take to long to get the valve job done. I dont have another truck to use this time while fixing this thing. So no work till truck is back together.

Is there anything else I should do while I am waiting on the machine shop to finish my heads.

IP and injectors are about a year old. I think I should do the oil cooler but don't know what do you all think?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is definitely not an area I'm experienced in, but couldn't it just be the valve seals? Can't they be replaced without pulling the head? I'd think a compression test is in order. :dunno

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
a leak down test would tell you more.
I had a valve that was doing this.....

took out the glowplug, pulled the rocker for that cylinder. Put compressed air in the cylinder....
After it pushed the piston down, I could hear the air going past the rings, never felt any air from around the valve.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is definitely not an area I'm experienced in, but couldn't it just be the valve seals? Can't they be replaced without pulling the head? I'd think a compression test is in order. :dunno

1,3,7,2,4,6,8 are all around 400 psi on my compression tester. number 5 will not build compression due to the fact that the exhaust valve is stuck open .... possibly bent, broken or other wise not correct. I will find out more today when I tear it apart

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your on the correct course of action then. Good luck!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found something this early into it. Just keep going and continue posting. We are all watching and listening.

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I spent 6 hours on saturday tearing it apart. Did the drivers side first and every thing looks great there. The passenger side is a little different though its no wonder cylinder #5 was not firing. The good news is the pistons all look great no valve impressions or obvious cracks or other problems. The machine shop that my local diesel supply shop recommended told me on the phone that it would be $150 + parts to redo each head. Doesn't sound too bad to me but what do you guys think. Also said it would take 2-4 days.

Attachments

• resized.jpg
    resized.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 32

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure they put on new valve springs, I don,t care if they test ok. they break at the worst times and take the whole engine with it usually. I have seen too many break that were tested, they only have so much cycle time in them. BTW I do lots of heads every year for work so im not just makin this up.

Probably needs new rockers also, see how much wear is in the pivot area, disassembly required.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure they put on new valve springs, I don,t care if they test ok. they break at the worst times and take the whole engine with it usually. I have seen too many break that were tested, they only have so much cycle time in them. BTW I do lots of heads every year for work so im not just makin this up.

Probably needs new rockers also, see how much wear is in the pivot area, disassembly required.

I totally agree with these statements! Also REPLACE any valves that even look marginal. Don't let the shop put the heads back together without replacing all the valves that need replacement. I'd probably be inclined to install all new valves in funds allow, seeing as how one already failed...

Ryan

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, looks like maybe #5 sucked a GP tip. You said there were no vavlve marks on the pistons, any smaller impact marks on #5. A GP tip is pretty small....

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thinking was to replace all valves and springs. Should the rockers really be replaced? Guess I will have them looked at.
Thanks for all the input guys.

The glowplugs were all intact so I do not know what the exhaust sucked up that caused this to happen or if it just happened from the 200+ thousand miles of hard labor.I have owned it for 4 yrs. and have put almost 60000 on it myself and those have been some heavy and hard miles for sure, the previous owner was TruGreen Chemlawn so it has live a hard life no doubt.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
wow that's some valve hole. when i had my heads redone i had all new everything installed. it ended up costing around 700 for the pair but they were like new heads.

good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online