Value this please...

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shoot, if it doesn't run, it isn't worth more than a grand anywhere. Running, I don't really have much faith in automatics, so maybe $2500?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats about where i was thinking. I dont like autos either but Im thinking maybe fix and sell. Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well not running means so many things.. does it try to start and the engine cranks but does not fire. Is it froze up and wont turn over. If it cranks and does not make noise then buy it. If it wont crank even that could mean the head gasket leaked and a cylinder is full of coolant and wont trun. So you see there are plenty of questions. Being an auto means something to others that don't like them but... they can be built bullet proof too. Being a turbo one has to ask what brand. Is it wastegated or not... Still lots of questions. Just turning 200,000 miles is not a big thing... dropping a valve is not a common item in these idi engines. You can offer less and go up but once your offering the asking price its tuff to drop it unless you find something really wrong like a mechanics lien or a salvage title is all you get. Remember that the country just had a horrible storm and lots of cars and trucks went for a swim so those will be on the market soon.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not to worried about the engine problem, im a mechanic by trade so that stuff doesnt bother me. if i can get it for a good price i think ill just pop the valve covers and see whats up (assuming its really a valvetrain problem). if it did drop a valve them id have a spare turbo kit, sterling/dana 50 for my 84 and what little cash the scrap is worth. i guess the real question is what is it worth running, just kinda trying to figure where the fix/scarp point is.

oh, and as far as the turbo it looks like a factory turbo truck (tailgate and fender emblem)

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the rest of it is only worth scrap to you, I will pay scrap value on the wheels. Let me know when they are ready to ship :sly

Since he isn't willing to part it out, I would estimate what it was worth to me to part it out. That is where I would set my max price. Transmission core, unknown turbo kit, axles, doors, cut up bed ... You get the idea. Worse case is the engine is dead and it gets parted out. Maybe it can be fixed. Maybe a good used engine can be found

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it looks like a nice solid truck.as she sits,it'll be hard to get anyone to pay 1k for her id guess.
if it were mine,i wouldn't take a penny less though.then again,if it were mine,id toss another used idi in there if need be and run it instead lol.

as far as buying,fixing up to resell old trucks privately,you should plan on doing that stuff more for the fun factor than trying to make $. that way if or when you come out upside down,you knew the odds were against ya from the start.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish it weren't friggin thanksgiving or id go look at it. I emailed him and he still has it so that's good. Maybe he'll be around tomorrow and i can go to look at it.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as buying,fixing up to resell old trucks privately,you should plan on doing that stuff more for the fun factor than trying to make $. that way if or when you come out upside down,you knew the odds were against ya from the start.

Agreed, but I think there might be some to be made there...odds are he'll want to much for it anyway.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell him he can keep the stacks. Those ought to be worth about $5k :rotflmao

Anyone else think that truck an odd choice for a pilot vehicle?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well heres what he sent me....holy crap:D

When I bought the truck the guy told me it ran great no problems that same day it was a hot day and I drove it from the guys house to nampa then back to Boise. We stopped at a resteraunt and after we ate the truck turned over but it had a hard time starting. Went home and next day it started up and came back into town and had the same problem with it not starting well when the truck was warm. That afternoon I drove to payette and in my way back in the freeway the truck just lost power. Pulled over in the side of the road and tried to turn it over and nothing like the batteries were dead. So I had someone come give me a tow to try to pull start it and it started up but sounded like crap. I really thought it threw a rod out the side of the block so I just called a tow truck to come get it and take it back to my house and it has been sitting since. I did talk to a couple mechanics and they were thinking one of the problems with it not starting when hot was the injector pump and the either problem was a valve. I just don't have the money to fix it right now. I have found a few motors for it and they are any where from 1200 to 2000 to replace it. The mechanic I talked to said he would charge me from 1500-2500 to fix the motor that's in it now.

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should give you a good read on him. Sounds to me like he can be convinced that it is worth $1500 to $2500 less than a running one. So, you going to belly up to the table and toss the dice?

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in a bad situation for that now. Tomorrow morning at 4 am i leave to go back to North Dakota for at least a month. I dont have time to deal with it unless it were buying it and keeping it at his house til i get back.