Vacuum Pump

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Its not too well know about this but its something that needs to be done once in a while. You need to remove the pump and then remove a plug found in the back cover. Let the oil drain out and refill with what you think is the best. Most like STP but others will chime in on what they used. I think Midnite Rider figured this out for us...:thumbsup:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I did this once and found it near-impossible to get the fresh oil back in the pump. I struggled with little funnels and hoses for the better half of a saturday, before giving up and going out to pick up one of those old timey pump oil cans. The needle point just barely was able to fit the fill port on the pump. I filled it until it was full, then turned it 90 degrees to where it was at the same level as normal operation, then spun the heck out of it until some of the oil came back out the fill port...

You don't want that thing chock full of oil, since oil is not compressible, and when the pump warms up, if there is no air space inside, POP... You get the picture... ;Sweet

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was possible...Seems like when a vacuum pump is replaced it should be checked and filled with gear oil or the like prior to installing. I have read where some guys go thru 3 or 4 of them in a very short time. Everyone seems to think the ones they bought were defective or pulleys were not aligned with belt right or too tight on the belts. I just think they are shipped low on oil...that's why I think they nrrd to be checked and filled..

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody somewhere has a spec for how much oil they hold... surprised we haven't found it yet.

My take on refilling is to use a hypodermic needle. Nice way to measure how much is going in and nice delivery into small space. With the needle off it works great, needle on.. much slower. Talk to your local pharmacist, tell them you are a mechanic and you want a big one to oil things with... get several they are handy. I use them for things like door locks and gun parts.. kids toys, hard to reach places.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I save the syringes we use to give the horses their vacinations. Those have a BIG needle on them. Plus... They are great for that fool that parks so close to you in a parking lot that you can't get into your drivers side door. Then a push into the sidewall of any tire will slow them down a bit... doing the sidewall makes them buy a new tire.. One can't repair a sidewall puncture like a belt puncture can be fixed.. Plus it tuff as hell sticking a needle in the thread of any tire... Sidewalls for me...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL was planning on this today when I do my thermostat before the new rad.

Guess its PICTUTORIAL time x 2 eh?