Vacuum Pump removal process, V belt

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Only problem I have is the little circle spring thingy on the tip got caught in a socket and then went bye bye. Now you have to work to keep a socket on there.
It sounds to me like you were using chrome sockets on it. They aren't designed to be held on by a circlip. They're designed to be held on by a ball like on your ratchet and extensions. You can tell the difference when you look inside the square, driven part of the socket. The ones that use the ball have a small groove on all four sides. The ones for the clip or a pin just have a hole in one side. An issue with the clip is that when one gets a little bit deformed, it can catch in the hole and pull off of the end of the impact. The circlips can be replaced when worn, damaged, or are missing. All you have to do is find a place that sells them. When I was making a living by turning wrenches, I bought mostly Mac tools. The dealers would keep a supply of the circlips on hand on their trucks. I'm sure that Snap On and Matco do the same. You may have to go to one of them for new circlips. I have no other idea where to buy them.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you were using chrome sockets on it. They aren't designed to be held on by a circlip. They're designed to be held on by a ball like on your ratchet and extensions. You can tell the difference when you look inside the square, driven part of the socket. The ones that use the ball have a small groove on all four sides. The ones for the clip or a pin just have a hole in one side. An issue with the clip is that when one gets a little bit deformed, it can catch in the hole and pull off of the end of the impact. The circlips can be replaced when worn, damaged, or are missing. All you have to do is find a place that sells them. When I was making a living by turning wrenches, I bought mostly Mac tools. The dealers would keep a supply of the circlips on hand on their trucks. I'm sure that Snap On and Matco do the same. You may have to go to one of them for new circlips. I have no other idea where to buy them.

Depending on what's needed...

https://www.harborfreight.com/225-piece-retaining-ring-assortment-67654.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-external-retaining-ring-assortment-67655.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-internal-retaining-ring-assortment-67656.html

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pribably did. When it's the only one you have, that fits...
It's not that kind of ring.

RetiringColt

Reaction score
The tool truck guys will give you a little bit of friendly grief for being HF, but will usually install the O-ring and clip for you. If you over stretch that spring clip the first socket you put on the gun won't compress it correctly and may damage the clip.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If you over stretch that spring clip the first socket you put on the gun won't compress it correctly and may damage the clip.
The way we used to install them was to set the dive part of the impact down over the ring and kind of roll the impact around the clip so it would be forced over the end. Then you can finish the install by hand.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hm I just thought of something, I remember it came with extra brushes for the motor in a bag. I know I have mine....somewhere around or I'd check it. You might check that parts bag for an extra clip, if you haven't hidden yours someplace too. It's a long shot but it's possible.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will agree that impact + puller is nice.
However, before you use an impact on your puller, get some wheel bearing grease and lube those threads up. If they are dry or mostly dry, you have a decent chance of galling when you try to put a bunch of force on the nut(and your impact can put a lot more force easier than you can by hand).

Pre-lubed, I've had great success. And I use my DeWalt 1/2" high-torque 20V impact, which can break off 1/2" bolts.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I will agree that impact + puller is nice.
However, before you use an impact on your puller, get some wheel bearing grease and lube those threads up. If they are dry or mostly dry, you have a decent chance of galling when you try to put a bunch of force on the nut(and your impact can put a lot more force easier than you can by hand).

Pre-lubed, I've had great success. And I use my DeWalt 1/2" high-torque 20V impact, which can break off 1/2" bolts.
Heck, I even lube the threads on my pullers before using them by hand. I just spray some WD-40, PB Blaster, or whatever else I have on hand on there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online