Uugghh now what

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok used 4 wheel drive today for the first time... went great! Turned everything off, unlocked hubs blah blah blah now 5th gear has a whine or humm... can't really explain it... went a while like that but eventually pulled over did the whole reverse 1st several times 4hi 2hi didn't help so went on in 4th with gear vendor hi engaged.... got to gas station locked hubs back to check if 4hi was still engaged.... BARELY tiny bit jumped (turning sharp on pavement)Probably just natural 1st gear... engaged 4 hi than jumped a BUNCH... disengaged.... still jumped... engaged/disengaged pretty hard several times... was not jumpijumping... turned off hubs... 5th gear still making weird sound.
So ya my smile is turned upside down:( (temporarly) :)

Help me out guys°○●•□■♤☆

You must be registered for see images attach

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
The gear vendor, ive never been around one, but they dont have a straight through gear ratio, do they?
And they’re after the T case changing only the rear axle ration correct?

Sounds like you might need to jack up the front axle and spin some tires to get thing to unlock

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission works as normal but I can engage the overdrive which is behind the transmission

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Does somebody have me blocked? Lol
There's 3 replies from you, but looks like some missing posts in between. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that before from you jasper ha... I know there has been times where I posted and instead of clicking on the forum button or navigating some other way If I push back it will erase my post and not confirm it like I never posted it

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gearvendor has straight-through(1:1) and OD.

I would check that, with the hubs unlocked and the transfer case in 2hi, all 3 shafts up front should spin freely. Likely one hub isn't disengaging.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure to jack the truck up and see what’s going on. From the sounds of it the gearvendors may be spinning the rear axle at a different rate than the front of the fronts stuck

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm hoping that's right, however do you think that is possible despite the fact the symptom is practically only noticeable in fifth gear I may slightly notice it lower gears but I can be going 40 in 5th and notice it clearly

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Jack it up and spin it with my hands? Also the passenger hub is cover in a kind of oil/grease.. I think maybe it is locked would that cause said symptoms? How would I free it?....regrease it?

Brandon Crislip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also are you supposed to reverse to get the hubs to unlock the times I reversed I only went may 10 15 ft.... If so what is the procedure?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said, you have a stuck hub. Take them apart and clean and grease. The only thing that unlocks them is a fairly weak spring in the hub. If you have had moisture in them they can stay locked. They are pretty straightforward once you get into them and you don't even need to jack up the truck, just loosen the allen bolts and it should all come off.
However, if you have moisture in the hubs then you should jack the truck up and check bearings as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron