Used to own a 6.2

james

Reaction score
Just got this truck 84 w/ 6.2. What can I do to stop the black smoke? Sometimes it smokes very bad, no patter in it.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess i'll join the posts in here, this is my first 6.2 ( a major downgrade from my 24v cummins w/ 5spd. and yeah...it smokes...gotta love smoke!! ;Sweet although the dual exhaust looks absolutely ridiculous, i'll take care of that by runnin the duals into 1 4" pipe and dump it out by the r/r 1/4 panel like my dodge was, i like to keep all smoke and sound in one huge tube! ;Sweet

robert wyrick

Reaction score
james said:
Just got this truck 84 w/ 6.2. What can I do to stop the black smoke? Sometimes it smokes very bad, no patter in it.

could be the egr is it when you get on the throttle or when it is idling

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
robert wyrick said:
could be the egr is it when you get on the throttle or when it is idling
mine does to...thats a n/a diesel for ya though...whats wrong with black smoke? :confused:

rock_doctor

Reaction score
Well unfortunately black smoke is normal for a mechanically fuel injected diesel. If you are getting tons of black smoke, you could change both the primary and secondary fuel filters (a rectangular one mounted in the engine compartment and round one on the frame). If one of the filters are clogged it will reduce the fuel pressure available to the injection pump and in turn reduce the fuel pressure to the injectors. The lower the fuel pressure to the injectors the worse the spray pattern out of the injector nozzle. Therefore, if after changing the filters you still have a lot of black smoke then you will have to live with it. It probably means the injection pump is wearing out. That does not mean it will die on you soon it just means it is starting to run rich. Change the filters (including air filter) and do not worry about it. A symptom of a dieing injection pump is stalling and hard starting.

mark

camara

Reaction score
Making someone a custom pair of Cement Shoes
My son has a 6.2 in a '82 blazer. About a month ago he had an electrical fire. We got a harness from Painless. It covered everyting except the glow plugs and control circuit. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the glow pulgs & controller. Other than that it gets 25 mpg, smokes, goes pretty good for 25 years old.ANy info would be greatly appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop by the Ford IDI dept and take a look through the tech articles. there is a writeup on doing a manual glowplug switch. Personally, I like the idea better than staying with the '82 GP setup.

rock_doctor

Reaction score
towcat said:
Drop by the Ford IDI dept and take a look through the tech articles. there is a writeup on doing a manual glowplug switch. Personally, I like the idea better than staying with the '82 GP setup.

I would not use a switch on GM glow plugs, they are rated for 6-volts. If you change them to 12-volt plugs then you can switch them on and just leave them on until you see the temp gauge move. At one point I had major glow plug problems in my 83 van; I was replacing the controller once every 6 mo then I eventually yanked it out and replaced it with a set-up from a 1991 pick-up. The 91 set-up is just a relay with an internal temp sensor. Easy install and has been working w/o problems for almost 8 years now. You do have to run some new wiring but it is not too bad.

mark

Last edited:

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
camara said:
My son has a 6.2 in a '82 blazer. About a month ago he had an electrical fire. We got a harness from Painless. It covered everyting except the glow plugs and control circuit. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram of the glow pulgs & controller. Other than that it gets 25 mpg, smokes, goes pretty good for 25 years old.ANy info would be greatly appreciated.
just go and grab a chilton repair manual..they have all the wiring diagrams in there...you may have to get it special ordered though...any auto parts store worth their skin should be able to get one for ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online