US gear overdrive?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an underdriver US Gear unit. It only goes between the transmission and T-case in 4x4 truck. That unit is for a 2x4 vehicle. It has two rear housings. No idea what truck that was for. Problem is......... you can't buy new adaptors to make it work for your truck, US Gear was bought out and stripped down. Word has it even the machines/dies to make new parts were scrapped.

Heath

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks a lot like a np205 on the tranny side though. I imagine in a 2wd app, it replaces the tail shaft housing, but then the spline for the tailshaft to engage would be recessed in the OD unit quite a bit more than it is.

That really looks like its supposed to bolt to the same flange as the 205 I'm staring at right now.... 6-bolts, any difference in spacing is almost indistinguishable... Even the way the splines are looks exactly like the 205.

Maybe it's missing an adapter flange? Nah, that's definitely a 2wd output. Guess I'll just have to wait for an email back...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're serious about wanting a U.S. Gear unit, I would buy it...even if it won't work for your truck, you can use it as a parts unit for the unit that you buy (assuming you end up with a U.S. Gear unit). If it weren't so far away, I'd buy it myself :angel:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not a bad idea Tim. As stated above, you can't get parts for them anymore. I couldn't even get a shift button for a manual transmission unit. I just modified the one for the column shifter when I ditched the C6.

Heath

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does bolt to a 205 flange! Now to figure out what the other end bolts to. Hopefully its has the same spline as the T-case. I'll pass if I need to make an output shaft... I don't have the skills or equipment necessary to cut splines or harden the shaft. A tail housing or an adapter plate of some sort would be cake though.

Heath, you didn't have to use a 4wd tailshaft extension on your tranny did you? That's the only reason I can think of why this has the 4wd input and a 2wd output. or a 4x2 conversion :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, for some reason I was thinking you were 2wd.

Just got off the phone with the guy, and he says I guessed right, it bolts up to a 4wd Trans and accepts a 2wd driveshaft. It would be a lot of fab work or parts scrounging to make this work.

The flange at the back is for a parking brake setup.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh, for some reason I was thinking you were 2wd.

Just got off the phone with the guy, and he says I guessed right, it bolts up to a 4wd Trans and accepts a 2wd driveshaft. It would be a lot of fab work or parts scrounging to make this work.

The flange at the back is for a parking brake setup.
you beat me to it.
the mount on the tail is for a HD3500 parking brake.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this pic works, you'll see how US gear accommodated the different transmission side options. The 2wd install required taking off the tailshaft housing and replacing it with the OD housing, which is basically a extra long 4wd housing.

You must be registered for see images attach

So there must have also been a tranny output shaft adapter sleeve to go from the slip yoke splines to the T-case splines on the front of the OD box. (unless they're the same spline configuration, which they aren't on my old trucks).

At the back of the OD box, is there another "adapter sleeve"? Or were there separate output shaft options?

I'm just trying to figure out what parts I'd need to scrounge up to make this thing work. Info is pretty scarce on these already...

It would be really helpful if someone with the us gear 2wd could post up :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner