Upkeep on a heavy 7.3 idi bus

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good fuel conditioner will make the pump and injectors last longer. Some run 2 stroke oil and others run power service....you can get that at wally world.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, seeing that your rig is pushing 12k, I would strongly suggest that you invest in a pyrometer. Being N/A, you most definitely need a pyrometer more so than if you had a turbo on her. A turbo adds additional air to the engine which tends to lower exhaust gas temps in theory.

Groovatic1

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks! I should have joined this forum sooner. Funny.. That's the second time I've been suggested dello400 I've noticed a small amount of oil around the intake.. Esp after a long 10 hr haul on the highway in va, and I usually keep a gallon around to keep it topped off. Dello400 seems cheaper too. Was planning on a amsoil change as I've used it in my gold wing with great results < my other heavy reliable iron :Thumbs Up . Ordering my pyrometer today.. Seems as though the exhaust on mine is a bit restricted as the output flows through 2.5inch to the back. Would opening that up help me? My wife's a bit critical of loud exhaust, but I know these ol girls sound great a bit uncorked.

Groovatic1

Reaction score
Oh and thanks for the printout on additives! Looking heavy at the opti-lube ... Wanna keep the ip I have around for one more trip to North Carolina.