Update for those following the NMB2 build

DragRag

Reaction score
Ok, so it looks neat. Now, how much h.p. and torque does it really make? I am just curious to know, because I would really like to know how much work/cash is needed to make an idi generate big power. He has put a lot of labor into this machine. Will it really be worth it in the end? That remains to be seen.....

Maybe he is worried about how much it lays down after putting so much into it? Maybe it never gets dynoed for fear of being ripped up one side and down the other for all he has into it for the r.o.i. I guess it all really just remains to be seen after all.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I seriously don't think he cares what other people think. But to moove a 4 door dualley like that does, I don't care what any dyno would say. It makes good power.

SWS

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard Justin say exactly what SWS just said. He's proud of his work regardless of what the dyno says, just has other priorities at the moment.

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
Dude has fab skills. No other way to put it. Who gives a **** what it lays down on the rollers? It makes WAY more power than my truck, and it looks better under the hood.

Show me another build like it, that's running... please.

PZ

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
I'm interested in the numbers too, but that isn't everything. I hope it's as stout as Justin was shooting for just because it's an IDI.
But I'm glad he has it going again and I hope it will be reliable.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Slowing down... Regrouping and paying attention to details makes for a good build.. Its a way of life or some. I made a mistake similar to what Justin did when I built my first idi. As I installed each piston and rod I tested the spining crank for friction. As I hung my 5th piston and rod the crank was really tuf to turn. Much more than any of the other slugs. The piston was pointing the correct direction too. So I looked at the underside of the piston and figured out I had installed the rod pointing the wrong direction on the crank... But the piston was ok on the bore. I removed the piston and rod and got a close look at what I had done. If you look closely at these rods they have a chamfered side that faces the crank chamfer and the almost flat cut side faces the other rod hung on the crank bearing. Also these rods have a slight offset to them so they fit differantly if they are hung wrong... Testing and testing some more will save you plenty of headaches in the long run. Pictures really hep too. Take them before you remove something. Take them when you close up something like the oil pan or the timing gear cover where all the gear timing marks are.. Its just good reassurance that you did something right. What happened to Justin ir regrettable but not stupid. Its an oversite thing and it will pass. Its not something to make fun of. Here we have someone thats working out there on something thats not at all common. Credit needs to be given where its needed.:angel:

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well put Gary. He has gotten to the point where he is going to work out all the kinks first before he is going to even think about dynoing it. He said the other day that he thinks he is pretty close to having all the kinks out now too. No matter what that engine does run like a champ and it is making really good power for an idi. That is extremely impressive to me...

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I sat here for two hours one night and read the write up PSN. Hands down hes one smart dude with serious skills. Personally how clean and efficient it is, thats enough for me. Whether its a stone cold beast or not is the question, its obviously powerful for an idi.

DragRag

Reaction score
Having installed many built up hvac, and commercial refrigeration systems I can say making something look good is important. But, making something look good and work even better is key. Really, I just want to know if all that fab, time, and effort was really worth it in the end. The only way to figure that out is mathematically. Money spent, time spent, and final hp, and torque numbers are the only way to accurately measure the out come of this build. To say, "wow it looks cool"' and "hey, he has great skills", is not a good measure of out come. If everyone used that as a measure of performance for business, then no one could stay in business. So, in order to measure his outcome, we need real world numbers to make a final judgment. I'm happy to wait for those figures.