UPDATE!!! 76 DIESEL SWAP NEED HELP!!!

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if the old truck is a 7.3 5 speed i still need those pedals and shaft etc? moding the tranny cover on the 79? is that so the shifter can come through the floor? Also there is all this talk about having to cut up or notch the front cross member to put a diesel in this thing can you clear this up for me?

Last edited:

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
You really need to sell me that 79 F350 for $500. Then you won't have to worry about this whole swap. :D
No really you should just go for the ZF5 Stick, it has OD & no computers or wireing systems.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
uhh no, there was only 500 of these made so thats a negatory on selling it thats why i bought it. If it wasnt a bone bare custom model i wouldnt even be thinking about doing this to it.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a no also, the bare junk axles go for 3000.00 over here and i bought the entire truck for less than that just to rub it in :)

haywire

Reaction score
so if the old truck is a 7.3 5 speed i still need those pedals and shaft etc? moding the tranny cover on the 79? is that so the shifter can come through the floor? Also there is all this talk about having to cut up or notch the front cross member to put a diesel in this thing can you clear this up for me?

yep, wether you go with the cummins or the idi you gotta cut the cross member, but as long as you weld it back up good not a problem. maybey tomorrow i'll take a couple of pics of mine. the fordcummins website also has pics of a mod'ed cross member.

by the way, does the 79 have the marriage t-case? if so, it should make things even easier if you go with the zf tranny.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya know i dont remember the truck is 100 miles away from me im bringing it the rest of the way home on sat morning. If it is married and not divorced like my 76 it will be better? how the heck do you post pictures in here? Bu i want an automatic. Is the gm 700r4 going to bolt up to the np205 case or will i have to swith the shafts or adapt it or? Anyone know where to get a heavy duty non computer 700r4 that actually has a warranty?

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to keep my 4.10 gears for towing my toys. Yeah the gear vendors is expensive and it still wouldn't allow me to go very fast. I want an overdrive tranny and then a gear vendors on top of that. What rpm's does your truck spin at 70mph?
Double overdrive is great with 4.10's. Basically works out to be the same as single overdrive with a 3.54 rear. The E4OD is really the only choice for an IDI. International probably has some other choice that will mate up, but I doubt it has an overdrive.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Is the gm 700r4 going to bolt up to the np205 case or will i have to swith the shafts or adapt it or? Anyone know where to get a heavy duty non computer 700r4 that actually has a warranty?
I suppose you could get a adapter & make on fit. But why would you ruin a 79 F350 4x4 with an old GM tranny? I'm with Agnem, if you want a good OD auto go for the E4OD. As much as people talk bad about the E4OD I haven't had a problem that wasn't easily fixed with all of the ones I've had.

haywire

Reaction score
ya know i dont remember the truck is 100 miles away from me im bringing it the rest of the way home on sat morning. If it is married and not divorced like my 76 it will be better? how the heck do you post pictures in here? Bu i want an automatic. Is the gm 700r4 going to bolt up to the np205 case or will i have to swith the shafts or adapt it or? Anyone know where to get a heavy duty non computer 700r4 that actually has a warranty?

yeah, its better because your t-case out of the '79 should bolt right up to the zf tranny or the E4OD. the 700r4 (if you could find an adapter to bolt it to the block) would require an adapter to bolt to a ford t-case. i agree with angem and cat rebel, if you decide on an auto, go with the E4OD. the fordcummins guys have a line on a good stand-alone transmission controller thats programable and will work with any engine. i don't think there is an auto tranny with an over-drive, that isn't electronic, that would bolt up to an idi.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, that makes sense. The e40d can be built to take some serious power. I found some vans that are for sale 1991's with the 7.3 and overdrive auto. They say 30k miles but could be 130 0r 230. The were kitsap county and so are immacaculate but are they worth the 4500 bucks>? What all would be more work than the other trucks? Is the tail housing solid and not changeable on that tranny to bolt it up to my 205? Also some one said something about extreme driveline angles?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
You'll probley have to change out the tail end so it will bolt up to the T-case. I know you have to do that on the 2wd truck trannys. Best thing to do is find a good E4OD out of a 4x4 IDI.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will the 7.3 bolt up to the c6? it should, some of them came with it correct? My next question is will that same c6 bolt up in place of the one that is in my 79 right now? What are some easy ways to tell a difference between a 7.3 and 6.9?

Also the guys said they bored the 7.3 out of a 1990 .020 over, dont these things have problems with the block worm. He swears it runs and drives top notch but is that possible? The walls are thin already correct? Just boring and bigger pistons that sounds like trouble. What do you all think. Could he be confused?

Last edited:

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Yep the C6 came on alot of 6.9L & a few 7.3L IDIs. As far as I know the bolt pattern is the same because the engines are almost the same size outside.
Don't know alot about the bore size thing so I can't help you out too much there.