type f instead of mercon need input?

jsnap

Dunce
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using type f instead of mercon to eliminate those friction inhibitors that cause heat me myself i dont mind a harsh shift please let me knowyour thoughts on this

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of using type F to reduce heat, but I've heard if you toss a quart or two of it in a Mercon tranny, it'll giver firmer shifts. I wouldn't recommend entirely filling up with type F though.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Used to run our GM trannys with it, TH350 and TH400, and they were never designed for type F. Many shift kits recommended it, so I used it with no bad results other than harsh shifts. I feel like I am in a confesional, saying I used anything designed for a ferd in my GM!!! :rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott I noticed the same thing when I got my BCM tranny shift kit. I wonder why the shift kits say use the Type F? I believe the C6 would have been designed for it though...my kit also says absolutely do not use Dexron/Mercon which also has me asking "why"?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nearly all trans fluids besides Type F use "friction modifiers" (originally whale oil, now synthetic) which causes the clutches to slip more during engagement.

The thing I don't like about the newer fluids is that they are made thinner for better fuel economy. Just as my old Mustang II wouldn't like 0w20, the old C3 probably wouldn't like modern trans fluids.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HMMMMN, interesting. I've been using Mercon in my C6 - is this a bad thing?

Oddly enough I came across two unopened quarts of Type FA on the shelf in one of my sheds the other day and was wondering if it would be OK to use in my truck. Guess the answer is yes......

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Scott I noticed the same thing when I got my BCM tranny shift kit. I wonder why the shift kits say use the Type F? I believe the C6 would have been designed for it though...my kit also says absolutely do not use Dexron/Mercon which also has me asking "why"?

Type F is slightly thicker, causing a little higher hydraulic pressure and better, firmer shifts - which is desirable for performance and longer clutch/band life.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Mercon does not have friction modifiers, so it's fine fer the C6/E4OD/4R100. Mercon V was created with the friction modifiers for the 4R70w/4R75e.

Adrianspeeder

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mercon (sold as Dexron / Mercon) does indeed have friction modifiers, Ford came up with the spec to make their transmissions shift softer like GM's had had for years.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=6

I'm going to have to take back what I said earlier about Type F beign thicker. The viscosity of Dexron III / Mercon is 7.9 / 37, the viscosity of Type F is 7.3 / 36. Basically the same.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's interesting this comes up. I'm in the process of overhauling/enhancing my C6 and I'm using type F for assembly. Guess we'll see how it likes it!:dunno
I think with new wide kevlar band and Alto red clutches it will be fine.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online