Two Tanks

sporanox

Reaction score
I was thinking about installing a small tank for diesel when I am starting and shutting down my truck. Anyone set a system up like this?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't do anything but run it in my cars, but they have excellent compression, and preglow systems, Running almost pure WMO in them add a tad od D2 now and then, well, little blue has to get some nearly pure diesel every few tanks or it acts like a spoiled kid. The truck has one tank that gets diesel mixed with WMO in it, and the other tank is pure WMO. I had considered doing something similar with no return on the truck using a single port valve. That would prevent the back flow from mixing, which adds up very quickly. I rarely actually switch to the D2 tank on the truck anymore, preglow on it acts up and times out too early even with 8 good plugs. Here lately it's been coming on as I drive, so I'm fixing to disconnect it, and use ether and just fill both tanks with WMO til winter. If I don't switch the truck to D2 before shutdown in winter I wind up having to pull it down the road to crank it.

sporanox

Reaction score
WMO

D If I don't switch the truck to D2 before shutdown in winter I wind up having to pull it down the road to crank it.

Do you drive them in the winter. I am going to drive my 300D and truck in the winter at 80/20 up here in Michigan. Any problems with that?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck ran fine until it got down in the low 30's to teens, still ran good, but couldn't get it to go through the filter at much more than an idle. If I got down on the throttle, the fuel filter light would come on and the truck would stumble. It was very drivable, just couldn't get heavy on it or pull anything til the temps got above 30ish. Don't forget to switch tanks at anything below 35 without a block heater.

Cannot speak for the Mercedes, I just acquired all three of them this spring. Going by how well designed the preglow system is, and how well they start on pure WMO now, well its a 90/10 mix I'm thinking they will be less of a problem than the truck is. One good thing to know about the 722.*** Mercedes automatic is they can be pull started also, you have to follow the correct sequence. Before feeding them any WMO i verfied that they will roll start. You have to have a VERY big hill or pull them, but once they get up to around 40MPH with a cold transmission, or 30MPH with a hot transmission they will self start. You HAVE to follow the correct sequence. Place the car in park, key off, turn key fully on place transmision in N begin roll til up to 40MPH and quickly drop the sifter into it's lowest gear position. Book says not to pull it for more than one minute at a time if it fails to start immediatly.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres are simple drawing of how I've got the wmo tank inserted in the stock fuel lines.
It takes a little bit to follow the flow of fuel if I'm using wmo or regular diesel.
The wmo tank is made from aluminum, I worked at a place a few years ago that had "scraps" of aluminum and someone did the welding for me. I figure its about 20 gallons.

You must be registered for see images attach

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I have a stock 2 tank system on my truck and I must use it below 40- ish. It actually would be better if I used it all the time. Is it necessary to use all the time? No, but it is better in my opinion. I would say if you have the time and energy, it is a worth-while addition and should be done.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the manual ball valves beside the drivers seat for my 3 tank set up. Kind of a pain in the ass but you can switch supply's and let the return run for another mile or so to prevent cross contamination if you wish to

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went the manual ball valves beside the drivers seat for my 3 tank set up. Kind of a pain in the ass but you can switch supply's and let the return run for another mile or so to prevent cross contamination if you wish to

Normally when I'm running wmo thats what I do, switch the supply side to regular diesel, then drive about 3 miles at highway speed. Then switch the return side so it returns in the stock tank.
At one time I had a clear line coming off the IP, and timed how long it took to "purge", IIRC it was about 3-4 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online