Twin Turbo's

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
OK I've wondered and wondered, and the Cummins area is rather silent!

so I would like to know the in's and out's pro's con's and anything any of ya'll might know about twins!!!

heard a ton about the inline set ups. but also looked at a couple of 'true twins'.

thanks in advance! I hope, ya'll are still here?>

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Don't know anything about them other than I can't afford them...

From my understanding what you gain by using two turbos is that the exhaust restriction lowers a ton for the amount of air your stuffing down her throat.

drewstory

Reaction score
twins are bad ass man i put a setup on mine a couple weeks ago and couldnt be happier. before my truck ran good but smoked like a *******(which is ok) and ran the egt's up real high, now it burns that fuel and runs even better no to mention that i can hardly get my exhaust hot now, the way i look at it the only con is price

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
I've heard that you can take a set of manifolds off of a Cummins 3 cylinder and they'll match right up so "true twins" can be put on, not sure how much extra work there is in doing this or what the cost difference would be! hell it'd be worth a try?

scamp73

Reaction score
The big disadvantage to twins(compound) is you have to at least put headstuds in the contain the boost. With a compound setup you get the instant throttle response while enjoying big topend power. The trick is to get two turbos that are well matched, from what I've heard the ATS compounds make good power.

24VChevy

Reaction score
If you are talking about running two turbos paralell it does not work. You have to use two small turbos or it will be a real lag pig. I read about someone trying it and it sucked. If you keep the boost down to a reasonable level under 55 or so you can get away without orings and studs for a little while. When I went to twins it added over 80hp at the rear wheels and the smoke disapeared under WOT.

Malcolm

Fishin2Deep4U

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compound twins are the thing for our application. A parralell system just does not work. A true compound twins system would have two turbos that are the same in series. Usually, a smaller top turbo is used to get the truck moving and get the bigger charger lit. Then, the top turbo is bypassed via a wastegate.

A properly designed set will make the truck more driveable if you have lots of power to begin with. I am looking at a 35 hybid on top and a secret squirrel on the bottom.

Just remember, that most if not all compound setups will spool slower than the single that you are currently using if that turbo ends up in the set.

There are many guys building quality sets. And BDs turbos are a good compromise if you are limiting yourself to 450-500hp. Check out Olee Poole, Piers, Rip Rook and all the other suspects...

No offense to you ATS guys, but, I would not buy a tubo from them. They can't even get thier story straight on what it can and or can't do. For any vendor, look past the color ads and do lots of homework. That's the only way you'll be happy.

Dave

justinp20012500

Reaction score
Pro

1. Ability to burn a ton of fuel.
2. Lower EGT
3. The sound wicked
4. The look even better!

Con

1. Cost
2. 5" exhaust (again cost of redoing exhaust)
3. Cost
4. They are tricky to tune
5. They are loud (dont know if thats a con)
6. Cost. You get the point

Justin