twin turbos and big injectors

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking at doing something different, flip the manifolds so they point to the front and bolt twin turbos to them. using 2 gated turbos from a 6.5 chevy. can anyone get bigger injectors for these motors??? can mechanical DT530's fit or what can i do for bigger injectors, this is going in a 1991 F450.

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
I think alot of folks have asked this question, about the turbos that is. And nobody to my knowledge has flipped the manifolds and fabbed up turbo mounts just yet. I would love to see somebody make this set up and report their results. Go for it!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with stock injectors and a hot pump. I haven't seen an IDI yet that can handle all the fuel we can put to it.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think ill keep the 450 fairly stock for now but im looking at one with cooling issues for like 1000 bucks, 2wd extended cab dually automatic, i might try it on that one. im glad someone gave me a response to a wild question.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Would the head gasket blow right off without head studs? Unless you had them wastegated to 12lbs which would seem rather pointless when most twins push 70-100lbs of boost. How much boost would a good set of head studs for a IDI even hold?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main benefit of studs is that they hold the torque better than stock head bolts, and don't seem to stretch like stock bolts do. Over time, stock head bolts will eventually loose their grip on even an NA engine, so if you keep a 6.9 long enough, you'll be doing head gaskets someday. If you put studs in when you do them, then you will probably never do a headgasket again. The ability of the bolt or stud to keep the clamping force up enough to prevent the gasket from blowing out under high boost seems to be the main factor in why we can't run more boost. Actually, it's not so much the boost, but the actual cylinder presure that presents the problem obviously, but we tend to talk in terms of the boost being the culprit. Water injection is supposed to lower the internal cylinder presures. How, I'm unsure. But it is said you can run higher boost with water injection then without. What that magic number is I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that on a 6.9, you'll blow a gasket in the high teens without water.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Water injection is "supposed" to cool the air charge, thus lowering the dynamic compression ratio a little and possibly saving your head gaskets...To me that seems faulty in theory - cooler/dense air having more oxygen in it would handle more fuel creating more fire in the belly of the beast thus increasing the dynamic compression ratio and cylinder pressures.:dunno

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what little I know, most people run 50/50 mix of water and methanol. The methanol is something of a catlyst or additional fuel, the water cools down the air charge. Travis trashed the E right after adding a homemade H20/**** injection system, but it may have already been on the way out. There was an article in the IDI tech section about a guy that used water/methanol injection here with good success, reduced EGT and increased power. The main things you must do is make sure your nozzle atomizes the water and that you don't use too much. Liquid water will hydrolock the engine methanol mixed in or not and 2) put it downstream from the turbo if you have one because the water/**** could corrode the turbine blades and anything hitting them at as high of rom as they spin could have very damaging consequences. DPS offers a complete system but its expensive. Probably systems from bigger companies for the PSD and others could be adapted but they are also(and perhaps more) expensive.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotta use distilled water, on a NA motor its a little more complicated to run, since the dodges have a charger, its alot easier to use.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want to run a twin turbo setup as well (just because i have several turbos laying around), but i think the turbos you want to run will be too big to run as a twin turbo setup, by the time they start spooling your engine would run out of rpm's. i have two sets of turbos laying around, 2 tho5h's off of 90 model eclipses and 2 turbos off of thunderbird turbocoupes. all these turbos are off of standard trans cars.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Twins and ****.

I ponder the idea of a Turbo for each side,But I would think that it would be like dual carbs to an extent.
They would have to be in sync.
Actually what has scared me away is the fact that It 1 Turbo puts out more or less than the other It seems to me thay it would destroy the motor.
I would seem to be way out of balance.
The **** aspect I have heard of guys running Windshield Washer Fluid.
Oh well Just my thoughts
John

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A properly tuned pair of wastegates will keep the engine in balance. Im using two 6.5L GM turbos on my 357W powered Ranger project, cheap turbos to buy considering the 6.5 is a POS so the turbos are plentiful...LOL...I got mine for $200 for the pair, both off 1994 trucks.

LOGANSTANFORTH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would run the cool sides to a common intake, look at what i drawed here:
You must be registered for see images attach

this would be my single set up if i could get it to work,
You must be registered for see images attach

i would actually turn the charger counter clockwise 90* so i can run the exhaust straight back just like my cummins.

Last edited: