Twin Turbo 4B-T

4B-T

4B-T
Reaction score
Would like to kick the petrol V8 boys arses in a Speedway 800kg open wheel car powered by a Twin Turbo 3.9 Cummins. Would like to get to 5000rpm, and up to 800 ft/lb of torque with no lag would be majic. Is this possible, or am I dreaming? Has anyone any experience in setting up these engines for competition? Do they need to be dry sumped, or would a Morosso Accumulator do the trick? If possible would like advice on turbo sizing, injector sizing, and how to set up the fuel system. (P pump?) Would vibration be a issue? I dealt to them a few years back with a 13b rotary Mazda engine, and now would like to deal to them with a diesel. "Dare to be different"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to the site.;Sweet
I have to say that there's no box anywhere in your thinking;Sweet
I can't say I've seen anything like you're proposing ever but the idea isn't that farfetched. Good thing is 6bt tech is easily transferable to the 4bt, so the materials needed to make this happen is there. I've always been curious to see a 4bt get compounded, so it sounds like you will be a good lab rat:D
I can't offer you anything more on the technical side and I hate steering you away from here too, but I do lurk over at www.4btswaps.com to gather info.
Do check in with us at times, I'd really like to hear your progress.
good luck tho;Sweet

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Even if you don't smoke'em, a nuclear 4bt sounds awesome. All I can say is:

Make'r Smoke Bobby!

Our season starts with playday, tomorrow afternoon. The first regular race is on the 17th.

http://www.rpmspeedway.net/

Kenny Schrader is scheduled to be here in August!

4B-T

4B-T
Reaction score
Watch this space. I have bought a brand new ISB4 3.9 Cummins for this project. Looking forward to hearing the first ISB4 hit 7000 RPM. (Well the 6 cylinder ones pull 6700 in the pulling contests)

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I saw in Diesel Power magazine a brief mention of a near 700hp compound turbo'd 3.9 in a Pro Street Ranger on fuel only. Owner's name is Wayne Robbins and it's in the June 2009 issue with the red Ram on the cover.

4B-T

4B-T
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Mine will be twin turbo'd and I'm hunting down some Piezo injectors for it so we can multi spray each power stroke. ie programe several minor sprays before the big one.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Mine will be twin turbo'd and I'm hunting down some Piezo injectors for it so we can multi spray each power stroke. ie programe several minor sprays before the big one.

I don't know if the current generation ISB 6.7 has the same head configuration as your engine, but they do have the Piezo style injector. I guess the question is why use them since the application you have is straight competition. If the programming is done properly combined with the high boost pressure, it really won't make that much of a difference between the standard or the Piezo, just more $$$$$ when you have to replace them.

4B-T

4B-T
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying, but my advice has been they will make more torque, and help keep the smoke down due to cleaner burning. If my engine is smokey, I will get black flagged,

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds very cool. Is your ISBE3.9 front or rear geartrain? 8V or 16V?

For a competition engine in a light chassis I would avoid twins like the plague myself. I'm a firm believer in KISS and twins is too much crap to go wrong in any sort of endurance application and for what gain? If anything you might try a large VGT turbo that will spool well without excess fuel. I currently have a Holset HE351VE (6.7 dodge turbo) on a 5.9 with custom manifold and full mechanical control and it works very well. You could far simplify the mechanical control for race use since you could give a hoot about light throttle efficiency or utilizing it as an exhaust brake.

4B-T

4B-T
Reaction score
Thanks Dustin. Engine is rear gear 16V Common Rail. I am going to run it with the orig single turbo initially and look at the twins later if I feel I need them.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the HP rating of your engine and what turbo does it have? HX30? I'd suspect the turbo it comes with will be far too small for much over 200HP.

If you need help adapting the rear gear engine I'm currently mating a 4.5L version to a ZF 5 speed and am happy to help.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Just a heads up; the most current issue of Diesel Power magazine has a full article on the 700hp 4bt Ford Ranger. And remember, this is on fuel only before the nitrous hit!
Gives a pretty comprehensive breakdown on the combination he's using.