Turned up the Injection Pump

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tuned up my Injection Pump 180 degrees, 3 flats. Also I cut the bowl out of the Air Cleaner lid and removed the plate behind the grill covering the air intake. I have to say the results were slightly disappointing.
I picked up about 2psi at WOT (only 7psi now) and knocked off only a second of my 0 to 55 times. 11 sec with the propane on and 14 sec with it off, both ways the temps get to about 1000*. I have lots of black smoke at WOT too. So other than cool looking heaps of black smoke I didnt gain a whole lot.

What are the normal gains from doing these mods?
What else can I do for more power?

On the upside the truck seems to idle a bit better and the power comes alot smoother.

What do you guys think?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I cant say what the normal gains are cause I have no idea. But you can always add an intercooler, and then turn up the pump more for more power. Also DPS injectors/IP's, water/**** injection are good places to look for more power. Nitrous maybe...

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
JR,

Every rig is different but that doesn't sound right based upon how my setup works. My setup is at the bottom of my post and as you can see it makes twice as much boost as your rig and I don't get any smoke. My pump is turned up 2 1/2 flats. What do you have for exhaust system hooked onto your down pipe?

With a non-wastegate turbo you are not going to make anywhere near the maximum boost you ultimately will make in 15 seconds. It takes a while. When I start a hard pull it will take a minute or so to reach maximum boost and maximum boost is only reached at higher RPM.

Jim

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had your truck timed correctly lately? I know some guys who's trucks I have timed at the rallies say that getting the timing right was the best mod they could get. If the timing isn't right, dumping more fuel in doesn't do a lot.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had your truck timed correctly lately? I know some guys who's trucks I have timed at the rallies say that getting the timing right was the best mod they could get. If the timing isn't right, dumping more fuel in doesn't do a lot.

No sure haven't, I wish I could make it to the meet coming up but there is just no way. I have been looking for meters on EvilBay hoping to find a deal. Right now it is just timed by ear based on what I have read here at OB.

What do you have for exhaust system hooked onto your down pipe?

I have 3.5in Hypermax Exhaust system. It definetly seems like I should be making some more power. My buddys truck is almost as fast as mine and his is N/A!!! It might be like Agnem says, TIMING. I need to find a meter.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also sounds like you may be over-fueling. Excessive fuel can rob power too since the combustion is so incomplete. I'd say start by turning it down a flat or so. That's what I'd try first....

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I'd kill to find someone in the Seattle area with a timing light. I want to make sure my Powersmoke is dead on.

sassyrel

Reaction score
84td---7 psi?????????????? turn that boost up to 12 max--and leave the fuel alone--then see what it does--but keep the pyro below 1250--unless you want melted pistons---

FordGuy100

Reaction score
84td---7 psi?????????????? turn that boost up to 12 max--and leave the fuel alone--then see what it does--but keep the pyro below 1250--unless you want melted pistons---

He cant turn up the boost, hypermax only sells none-gated turbo's.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
just turn the fuel up, and watch your gauge, If you keep your foot out of it when you need to you wont have a problem. I have a pulse turbo and i see 12psi a lot!:angel:

Al_E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I regulary see 15+ psi peaks on take off and then usally see about 8psi steady when loaded. when I ported /polished and matched the stock manifolds to the heads I gained 2psi ,my bigest gains were after I built my custom headers and turbo mount and up pipes. Max egt of 990 after a 5mi hill loaded. The high boost is freaky but she is holding up well

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I regulary see 15+ psi peaks on take off and then usally see about 8psi steady when loaded. when I ported /polished and matched the stock manifolds to the heads I gained 2psi ,my bigest gains were after I built my custom headers and turbo mount and up pipes. Max egt of 990 after a 5mi hill loaded. The high boost is freaky but she is holding up well

Yeah I would say 15+ psi of boost is pretty insane. Are you running head studs?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't have one, but I could introduce you to someone who does....

Hook me up then Jeeper, I want to make sure my Powersmoke is dead on. I may have the pump turned up a flat for biodiesel while this person is at it.