Turn Key, No Juice...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the thread suggests, when I got in the truck this morning I turned the key to "on" I got nothing. I have no warning lights, no heat or stereo, no headlights. Absolutely no electricity of any kind.

I voltage tested both batteries and I have 12.?? on both. I checked all the fuses in the engine compartment and they were all good. Truck ran fine all day starting, stopping, and towing....

On the way home I noticed my voltage meter was bouncing back and forth (very rapidly and randomly) and figured out it only happened when I hit a pot hole or other bump... Right before I got home I deliberately hit a couple pot holes to test it and the speedometer joined in but only when I hit bumps. That's the only symptom I noticed. Shut it down, plugged it in, and left it.... this morning - nothing. Thanks guys...

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like loose wiring, probably at firewall - could have a crack there too since you have a manual. terrapinmfg sells a kit to reinforce the firewall. Try pushing on the giant wire bundle down there. There are a few smaller bundles under the hood too but this is the only spot where they all should meet so I would try it first

I know you are home now, but this info is still pertinent:

These vehicles only need 1 wire to be hot to really run, the red with green stripe wire. You can manually trigger starter and glowplugs if you are ever stranded. I made a switch that I popped on the starter solenoid for this purpose and for working on it under the hood. One big ring terminal to one side of switch, this goes on the always hot post, one small ring terminal to the signal post. Flip switch = cranking ;Sweet. One day I wasn't getting power like you so I took a wire and wrapped it on the positive of a batter and to the FSS on the IP and jammed the red w/ green stripe wire back on it and was able to get going after I manually glowed the plugs for several seconds and hit my starter button..

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, thank you. My guess was wiring as well, but I was unsure where to start looking. Thank you for the advice. I'll post results when I get a chance to test.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. Check the wiring around the solenoid on the passenger fender-battery area. My battery was moving around and wore the insulation down on wire along the inner fender. It wasn't worn totally through, but thin enough to ground out.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. Check the wiring around the solenoid on the passenger fender-battery area. My battery was moving around and wore the insulation down on wire along the inner fender. It wasn't worn totally through, but thin enough to ground out.

Sonofabitch... I saw some recent wear on the wire from the solenoid to the battery.... Not through, but I noticed....

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so quick update... I wiggled the wire connecting the solenoid to the battery - jumped in the truck and turned the key and I HAD power. I pushed the manual glow plug button and ...... Out..... I think I found my smoking gun..... Will report as soon as I can.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to wrap this one up... The air cleaner on the intake was vibrating against the wire connecting the starter solenoid to the battery. There was a small abrasion on the wire itself but no copper exposure. When I removed the wire I found the wire had pulled out of the ring connector. It was wrapped in electrical tape so I didn't notice it. Replaced the wire and everything has been good since.