turbo whistle

FordGuy100

Reaction score
New poster to this web site. Was a regular over at TDS. But thats besides the point.

I was talking to my friend the other day and he said that he was riding in his shop teachers truck (dont know the specific year but he said it has the 6.9) to get metal. He said that the truck is equiped with a banks turbo (he says non-wastegated). thats dandy but what really sparked my interest was when he said that when the truck got past 2500 RPM is sounded like a big rig, turbo wise.

Now my question is, is he full of himself or do these trucks have alot of turbo whistle when they get up past 2500 RPM's.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
While cruising down the highway at 75 and 2500 RPM, I can hear mine (ATS)inside the cab with the radio off. A couple of guys I know with 12V Cummins' are jealous because mine has more whistle at idle and just off idle than theirs do. Mine has an aftermarket 3.5" exhaust, but it does have a muffler. Love listening to it as my wife drives off to work in it. ;Sweet

Tom

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
My Sidwinder II whistles pretty good. Try opening the rear slider with the rest of the windows up. You'll get a dose of what pedestrians hear.

My bro has a funny story. He loaded up his 28 ft TT, and his family in his 99 Ram 1500. Then headed west to Wa state. I get a call 3 days later. "Hey Rob, you'll never guess what I did! I bought a 02 2500 w/Cummins" (Me scratches head) "It's sooo sweet! When I get on it, and the boost kicks in, IT JUST GIVES ME A *****!" His really whines.

Seems he got tired of peeps cussin him as he crossed the Rockies @ 30MPH in his 1500. He said, "Aint nobody gunna be passin me on the way home!"

pafixitman

Reaction score
Factory ATS installed on a '93 NA. Upgraded elbow, housing and DP. I run the Banks exhaust from the DP back. Serious whistle. As a matter of fact, last night I turned OD off and was running at 2500 RPM w/ no radio and windows open. :love: :thumbsup: :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
So he wasnt BS'n me. I had always thought these trucks with turbos didnt have much turbo whine cause of the little boost they develop. There goes that theory.

But thats awsome that they have good whine I would hate having a turbo and not be able to hear it.

Thanks for the replys guys.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Jees these things really do have some good turbo whistle (thank you F350camper for the sound clip).

I cant wait until I get my system.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my IDI donty whistle that much at idle but runnin down the road it has a nice whistle.now my PSD at idle sounds let a freekin jet is landing.and runnin down the road you better have ear plugs.and if i hammer it and let out of it my wife said its sounds like the washing machines at the laundrymat when they come off the spin cycle :eek: :D

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my project truck done and the Banks Sidewinder I have whistles and whines all the time. Sounds great and is very audiable in the cab even at much lower RPM than 2500.

Heath

FordGuy100

Reaction score
hesutton said:
Just got my project truck done and the Banks Sidewinder I have whistles and whines all the time. Sounds great and is very audiable in the cab even at much lower RPM than 2500.

Heath

Thats the wastegated version correct.

Dag narn parents say I have to make it look pretty before I can get a turbo. At least they took the news (me planning on turbocharging it) alot better. They didnt say I couldnt but just said that it is going to be one of the last things that I'll do to the truck. Oh well, just an insentive to get it done faster.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FordGuy100 said:
Thats the wastegated version correct.

Dag narn parents say I have to make it look pretty before I can get a turbo. At least they took the news (me planning on turbocharging it) alot better. They didnt say I couldnt but just said that it is going to be one of the last things that I'll do to the truck. Oh well, just an insentive to get it done faster.

Yeah, it is wastegated.

Don't worry, I bought the turbo before I had the engine reassembled. I installed it with just the motor and tranny on the naked frame. Me personally......and nothing agaist your folks wishes.........but, "looking pretty" is fine, but a mechanically sound (motor, tranny, drivetrain and such) truck is better than a pretty truck that is unreliable. If the truck is in good mechanical shape, a turbo is a great addition to the truck. It will not be a firebreathing monster that the word turbo can bring to mind to those who don't know diesels. It simply makes truck a pleasure to drive and it is the way Ford/IH should have sold them from the factory. Anyway, good luck and keep up posted.

Heath

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I can REALLY hear mine when the baby rides on hot days because I roll my back window down on that side. Other than that - barely.