Turbo party.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i should be able to swing down and help out, i would like to see how this is done anyway.

i will have to check with my girlfriend (singular):D but it should be fine.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao If you're already to the point of having to check first....... :)hail :backoff ) ......you might as well go ahead, seal the deal and tie the knot...:rotflmao

;Poke :popcorn

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
This might sound stupid, but how can you tell the difference between wastegated and non-wastegated?
John

SKimballC

Reaction score
Is your turbo like Joe's? A factory or later style ATS sits at an angle over the engine and has a goofy s-shaped airbox and has a can looking thing with a rod between the compressor and exhaust sides.
The earlier nonwastegated ATS sits along the rear of the engine near the firewall and has a big square airbox with ATS written in a font that they thought looked futuristic in the 1980's.
I'll rustle up some pics if it'll help.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Here's a nonwastegated airbox and pile of parts.

Attachments

• IMG_7875_1.JPG
    IMG_7875_1.JPG
    930.1 KB · Views: 6

pafixitman

Reaction score
Damn, I trust you to inspect my vehicles?cookoo

IIRC, the one you got from metrojd @ Hoss' was a wastegated.All of the factory IDIT are wastegated.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Thanks Shane.
Looks like I have the older, non-wastegated version. Got to gather everything upfor the install.
John

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Damn, I trust you to inspect my vehicles?cookoo

IIRC, the one you got from metrojd @ Hoss' was a wastegated.All of the factory IDIT are wastegated.

Damn, thanks Joe!!!!
No more favors for you. haha

I don't see any rod thingy, and my air box looks like the one in the picture.
Guess the grommet won't work? Are they different?
Should I remove the valley and and drill holes where the grommet is, to allow for oil drain back from the turbo.

pafixitman

Reaction score
The grommet may be different. For some reason I thought you had a factory deal. :confused: As soon as I get them, I'll get it over to you so you can see if it will work. reklund may have one that you need or at least know where to get it.

I really hope to get my oil leak fixed before I return to work on the 26th. BTW-I need to pick your brain about the Triton V10 and Excursions.

SKimballC

Reaction score
The grommets are quite different. The oil drain casting is wider on the nonwastegated kit. I'd look into the source that Ryan found.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Non Wastegated

John,
The turbo you got from me was a Non wastegated Turbo.
I ordered a gromet from ATS the# is G6973VP they call it Gromet Vally Pan (#11)
I called Ats and they gave me a # of someone else to call and they ordered it from ATs and had it drop shipped to me.cookoo
It seemed like an extra step, needless to say it took weeks to get.
I waited a week and a half and with no sign I called and they said ATS forgot to ship. Go figure.:backoff
Oh well any way it wound up costing like $28.00 .
Good Luck
John

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
If you need the installation instructions for the 088 non-wastegated turbo, I have them and could email it to you. Let me know. OkieGringo

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those still wondering, if your turbo has one of these hanging off the side, it's wastegated. First pic is a banks wg turbo the second pic is a ATS wg turbo.

Attachments

• 01-02-07_2216.jpg
    01-02-07_2216.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 19-03-07_0115.jpg
    19-03-07_0115.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 7

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao If you're already to the point of having to check first....... :)hail :backoff ) ......you might as well go ahead, seal the deal and tie the knot...:rotflmao

;Poke :popcorn

:rolleyes: thats the consensous i keep getting from everybody......whether i ask or not.

at least at this point she cant take 3/4, im still recovering from the last one. she is a tropper though and will probubly own me soon enough....:D

so do you have a date yet for this shin-dig. i cant help much with turbo spacific stuff mostly looking to learn and can be a wrench lacky.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
No specific date, yet. I ended up patching up my buddies truck. Late Saturday afternoon, gr-rrrr. But he's still interested in exhaust. I'm thinking of installing fuel system first. Then turbo. Need to get that grommet. Clean things up, locate an air filter, etc, etc
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online