turbo makes a bad grinding sound

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished refreshing my idi, with new injectors, and a new rebuilt turbo. the injectors are new Delphi turbo, for 94's. The turbo is a rebuilt unit from bec's also for a 94' I have an rdt, where the intake is blocked off and the cdr, now clean, just dumps behind the engine. My oil runs from the pressure sender behind the intake via a hose, to the turbo, then dumps to the valve cover. The turbo is situated over the drivers side, I now have no A/C, the turbo is in the way. I am not sure what the problem is. I know that the power steering pump needs to be serviced, but there should not be a problem here, with a rebuilt turbo. I get the same noise the old turbo made before it went pop. I get right around 5-8 psi only from a non wastegated turbo, and the pump is turned up a couple of flats. no black smoke, no smoke at all, actually. any clues. I'm going to try to clearance the exhaust a little tomorrow with a pry bar, and see what I can do with the power steering, as well as fix the lights on my pyro, and boost gauge. I also have an issue with my rdt, it likes to leak, and drip. Is that normal?

thanks,

Kevin

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeeeesh, do not miss Lake Bandini.....

When does it make noise? Boost and exhaust leaks can both screech.

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good question, appears under load, not sure the rpm's but how to determine boost leak? I have new exhaust mani gaskets, and all new crossover pipe , dp, and exhaust, so no exhaust leaks. Yeah, it's kind of like a screech, like the turbo did when it died on me. like nails on a chalkboard kind of, or metal on metal, like the shaft isn't aligned. I wish I could call bec's and get this figured out. thanks for the help so far. They had to revise ol bandini, there are plants in it now to help deal with the stench, it kind of smells like the ocean, fishy, and does still carry quite an odor from time to time. The worst is during the summer and fall, the flies are terrible.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed the plants growing in 2011 when I left for good. Kinda laughed when I got home and saw it had it's own FB page.
Boost leak- In my case it screeched when I hit a certain boost level of 12-15ish. It was pretty obvious I had pushed the o-ring out from under the hat when I did a visual inspection~oil from cdr tube+seal not uniform in the area of the leak.
And while your there you might as well check the turbo for housing contact and the it still spins smoothly etc for piece of mind.
I would also make sure your exhaust bolts are all still tight, a metal base gasket acting like a reed causing a screech is not easy on the ears....

NintendoKD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good stuff, thanks for the tips, I'll keep the post updated. Made a trip near mulino to pick up a couple of 427 ford fe engines not to long ago from a 60's chris craft commander, best people there, everyone has guns.:sly

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
427 ford fe engines??? :love: -Drool

Side oilers???

Those would be very rare these days as original engines... Are they still virgins, having never been opened up for any work???

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
427 ford fe engines??? :love: -Drool

Side oilers???

Those would be very rare these days as original engines... Are they still virgins, having never been opened up for any work???

I second that. being marine they could be medium risers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online