Turbo Help

illinoisIDI88

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First off im going to be honest, I know very little about diesels, I saw the truck thought it was awesome so I bought it. I have a 1988 7.3 and was wondering if it would be wise to buy a Banks sidewinder for it. If so what would I have to do so it would work properly? Thanks in advanced.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We need a little more information on your truck. How many miles are on the engine. On the injectors and on the injection pump. Is it an auto or standard trans. Four or two wheel drive.. What are your concerns asking is it wise to buy a turbo for this engine? All the 6.9 or 7.3 engines do very well adding a turbo to them. Banks is one of the biggest and best companies to buy from.

illinoisIDI88

Reaction score
Sorry bout that I just posted quick between classes. The engine has about 155k on it. The injectors and injection pump are probably around the same. I just bought it about 8 months ago. Its an automatic and four wheel drive. I want the turbo mostly for a little better mileage but mostly because why not?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Turbo's do improve performance especially in high elevations. Fuel milage may go up but not much because you will be most likely driving harder with your new hp. Not fun to install at all in my opinion. One thing to think about is these engines are very simple to work on for the most part. For example Glow plugs, injectors, ip pump, all simple jobs when na. Now add turbo and all that and more becomes a huge pain in the ass especially with factory or ats setup. I cant say about the banks or hypermax.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To address the issues iron worker brought up...

With my banks sidewinder kit, you can still access all the glow plugs and the injectors. It does make the area tighter, but you can still remove them without removing the turbo.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never really had an issue with pulling or installing my trubo with the IP & lines off.

some of you have "crushed" body mounts, which would make the job harder.
the biggest issue i had was installing the downpipe by myself.

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mileage probably wont improve,how ever why not is a good reason to me! they are fun to install!

I track every tank of fuel and no my mileage did not increase, and I had tongue in cheek about how much "fun" these are to install,Actually mine was not much, fun,because we also did a 1 inch body lift before the install and that was a pain in the butt!.Did have good company on the install though(RDSL).that was the fun part.