turbo dumping boost?

tnerb

Reaction score
Ok my buddy has a 00 or 01 I cant remember its a 6spd with cold air intake and a super chip in it. Going down the road if you floor it the truck revs up and then at around 2500 rpm or so it dumps the boost out some where. Is this totally normal does it damage anything.

Thanks for the help advance.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
What are the actual boost and temperature numbers? With that setup you (your budy) really should have a boost gauge and a pyrometer. It could be the wastegate that your hearing or it could be compressor surge. Those are the two most likely. If you are hearing a loud hissing noise then its quite possible that you have a leak somewhere in the aftercooler or its plumbing.
Ken

tnerb

Reaction score
dont hear any hissing and it dosent do it all the time if you nice to and lay into it slowly then it dosent do it but if you hammer it and this is unloaded it does it. i personally havent driven the truck yet but have been in it when it does it its almost like maybe the engine kills the fuel to the engine to or something you feel it loose power when this happens. dont hear any hissing sounds. and the truck has no gauges yet i told him if he starts hauling heavy loads to get gauges.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
well, check what we said before you tell us we're wrong..
you're Johnny-on-the-spot... we're waaaaayyyyy over here on the other side of the inter-web

tnerb

Reaction score
I didn't say anybody was wrong I just tried to give a bit more info on the problem and will check thows things when I get a chance. If its the waist gate were hearing is that normal or is it screwed.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he is hitting over 22 psi boost the truck is defueling. He really needs a pyro and boost gauges.

tnerb

Reaction score
That makes the most sence to me. So if that's the case should we just leave it as its a saftey thing or can these engines handle more boost no problem. And does anybody have a link to a thread on installing turbo and egt gauges.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Its quite possible that it could be a programming error. If the PCM sees too much boost it could defuel the engine. A decent set of guages (as you are aware already) will help diagnose this.
Best of Luck
Ken

tnerb

Reaction score
I'm really hoping gauges come sooner than later as I think even stock diesel should have gauges.

tnerb

Reaction score
The big question thow for now is are we doing any damage to anything.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if that's the case should we just leave it as its a saftey thing or can these engines handle more boost no problem.

The engine can handle the boost no problem but the turbo cannot. The Garrett will start to eat thrust bushings in a hurry with prolonged operation north of 25 psi.

tnerb

Reaction score
cool thanks for the info guys. last question for now. no damage done by to much boost anyways but with it fueling down and dumping all the boost out are we damaging anything. guessing it just dumps the boost out the waist gate i really dont know alot about diesel and turbos and stuff

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
I didn't say anybody was wrong I just tried to give a bit more info on the problem and will check thows things when I get a chance. If its the waist gate were hearing is that normal or is it screwed.

that's the information we need..
If it's the waste gate we're hearing

if it's when the truck is warming up, it's most likely the exhaust back-pressure valve closing..
which is a normal condition, and can cause a "surging" feeling..

the EBPV functions a lot like a heat-riser on an carbureted gas engine.. it closes off the exhaust to put some load on it, and helps the engine warm quicker.

a lot of guys in southern climates gut the thing, but I'm not a big fan of that..

if you hear a steady hiss going down the road under load, or the truck is just flat gutless, look first at the turbo and inter-cooler boots. Look for "dirt" stains on the pipes at where the boots are.. especially if the stains have a greasy or oily feeling.. this is an indicator of leakage, and is fairly common...

just clean them up in a bucket of warm, soapy water, and reinstall them.

another thing to look for is the same "sprayed dirt" stains on the inter-cooler itself, as it's possible to be cracked. Not real common, especially on a 7.3, but a 6.0 or two it has happened on.

finally, the tuner itself could be causing it.. especially if a code for "ICP Above/Below Desired" exists.. this is the high-pressure oil pump (HPOP) running out of oil due to the tuner program.. you could either get a different tuner, a chip, or an aftermarket HPOP..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes