Turbo Clearance issue

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a clearance issue between the top of my turbo and the firewall/cowl. I want to say that my body mount bushings are sagging but when I looked at them they seemed to be in pretty good shape. I can snap some photos of them when i get back home from work, if they look good the only other option i can think of is to do a small body lift? But the smallest ones i can find are 2in, I think 1/2in would get me looking good again.

What are your thoughts?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I installed the 085 into my truck recently, the turbo has about 1" of clearance to the firewall, but slips down over studs, and I couldn't get enough clearance to get the turbo to slip onto the studs. I took a 2x4 and a sledge hammer and just beat the firewall back about 1/2. It moved pretty easily. Not sure if this helps in your situation though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap...just posted some questions on this exact subject....do I ever feel like an idiot now...Oh well..my engine bay is clear of all obstructions and I am prepping for diesel and turbo and lift install so a lil bit more to deal with but similar..LOL too funny

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap...just posted some questions on this exact subject....do I ever feel like an idiot now...Oh well..my engine bay is clear of all obstructions and I am prepping for diesel and turbo and lift install so a lil bit more to deal with but similar..LOL too funny

Haha I just saw your thread, the seam you are talking about I rolled over with a prybar and a big hammer and it was still a tight fit getting the up-pipe squeezed through.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha I just saw your thread, the seam you are talking about I rolled over with a prybar and a big hammer and it was still a tight fit getting the up-pipe squeezed through.

Yes, well with the damn engine bay clear of any obstructions NOW is the time to cut/weld/massage/modify as required for lift and clearance! Hence my thread.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mounts a lil sagged but not enough to warrant change IMHO, Ya you have a tight fit for sure...Cannot wait to clearance my fire wall as it should be simple with no engine in the bay!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1" hockey puck lift is well worth it. You don't even have to do the bed if you don't want. The lines will not be off that much. After putting the turbo on the Lady Moose and bending and beating the snot out of the firewall, I still had an occassional vibration, and more in reverse. There just didn't seem to be any more clearance I could gain. Did the hockey puck lift, and never looked back.

It has been my observation over the course of doing diesel conversions, that some motors sit forward or backward more than others. Probably a combination of motor mount, bolt, cross member and casting variances. It's the reason why the trans crossmembers are slotted, and possibly by we occassionally hear about people who can't run an FL-1995 oil filter. If your one of the people with a motor that sits back farther than others, the non-body lift turbo can be a real challenge.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
On my 85 the body mounts evaporated long ago, someone put rubber between the body and frame so they don't rub.when I put on my factory turbo it hit, a prybar and 6 foot pipe made room. I literally had to jack the cab off the frame to install it. It's against the turbo but doesn't vibrate or make any noise.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1" hockey puck lift is well worth it. You don't even have to do the bed if you don't want. The lines will not be off that much. After putting the turbo on the Lady Moose and bending and beating the snot out of the firewall, I still had an occassional vibration, and more in reverse. There just didn't seem to be any more clearance I could gain. Did the hockey puck lift, and never looked back.

It has been my observation over the course of doing diesel conversions, that some motors sit forward or backward more than others. Probably a combination of motor mount, bolt, cross member and casting variances. It's the reason why the trans crossmembers are slotted, and possibly by we occassionally hear about people who can't run an FL-1995 oil filter. If your one of the people with a motor that sits back farther than others, the non-body lift turbo can be a real challenge.

Just a thought...but tollerances stack so could the body also be MORE forward on the mounts? Would loosening the body bolts a tad...and pushing the body back a bit work too????

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as the cab doesnt hit the bed. Could just be that the cab slit forward. puck lift is good, or try moving the cab back some, or both. As far as the mounts, ive seen worse, those arent too bad.

EDIT: It would seem my previous comment was directed at someone else with the same problem and strikingly similar posts, but obviously not the same person, so just so everyone doesnt get the wrong idea the OP and I talked and i apologized for the mistake.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, as long as the cab doesnt hit the bed. Could just be that the cab slit forward. puck lift is good, or try moving the cab back some, or both. As far as the mounts, ive seen worse, those arent too bad.

FWIW, if you would have done as you have here, on PSN, you wouldve gotten a MUCH better response, calling people ******* and telling them to **** off for saying fix something that you yourself said is broke, is not the best route to gaining helpfull advice.
*** are you referring to, IIRC I don't think I said anyone was a ***** or **** off...but I could be wrong...LOL

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol no... that was to the OP, sorry i should have clarified that a bit better haha figured he would know who i was talking to, didnt think about it the other way.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol no... that was to the OP, sorry i should have clarified that a bit better haha figured he would know who i was talking to, didnt think about it the other way.

Wasnt sure cause it was my suggestion to move the body...n then your comment...was confusing...*****...