Turbo Boost and highway speeds.

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Banks turbo on the truck. So while cruising at highway speed at 2500 rmp,s in the 1985 6.9 with 4 speed. It sits at 5 lb of boost. Is this good, bad, or don't matter? Yes, it goes all the way to 10lb of boost if i want it to be there. but just cruising it sits at 5lb of boost. I thought that you should see almost no boost while cruising.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dynamic pressure(I think that's the term???) It's gotta have some boost due to hot side rpm
My .02

faaiish

Reaction score
How does it pull compared to without the banks. I have the motor out of mine getting fresh gaskets and a banks system wanted to know what you think?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yer gunna be pleased.
The non gated banks just keeps building, slow but steady

faaiish

Reaction score
I tried pulling a 4000 lbs. trailer up an 8% grade without the turbo and it would only go 45 miles an hour. I bought it to pull a 10,000 lbs. travel trailer/ toy hauler which I have only pulled on flat ground(it wasn't a speed demon). Trans went bad on that last trip in the mountains so I decided to give the old girl an upgrade. A remain E04D, Fresh gaskets and a turbo. Pulled the bed to replace the fuel pick ups and found a little rust on my brake lines so she is getting new stainless lines new shocks (they are originals) and putting a set of firestone airbags. Hoping it will be a great puller.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Banks turbo on the truck. So while cruising at highway speed at 2500 rmp,s in the 1985 6.9 with 4 speed. It sits at 5 lb of boost. Is this good, bad, or don't matter? Yes, it goes all the way to 10lb of boost if i want it to be there. but just cruising it sits at 5lb of boost. I thought that you should see almost no boost while cruising.
That all sounds normal, you will always cruise in boost since you are running higher rpms with no overdrive.

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming Non wastegated that’s normal

At 2500 rpm your moving a lot of exhaust gases with no OD

My old mans 6.4 holds a steady 10lbs at 2000 rpm doing 65 loaded/empty

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1994 F350 7.3 with Banks Sidewinder (waste gated, empty crew cab dually, 5th gear/over drive, 4.10 rear end.) makes around 5-6 lbs of boost cruising at 65 mph, builds up to 10 psi (waste gate limit) fairly quick at that speed if i put my foot in throttle.

1993 F350 Crew Cab Dually
XLT
7.3 Factory IDIT w/Banks Sidewinder
5spd Manual

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried pulling a 4000 lbs. trailer up an 8% grade without the turbo and it would only go 45 miles an hour. I bought it to pull a 10,000 lbs. travel trailer/ toy hauler which I have only pulled on flat ground(it wasn't a speed demon). Trans went bad on that last trip in the mountains so I decided to give the old girl an upgrade. A remain E04D, Fresh gaskets and a turbo. Pulled the bed to replace the fuel pick ups and found a little rust on my brake lines so she is getting new stainless lines new shocks (they are originals) and putting a set of firestone airbags. Hoping it will be a great puller.
Not to hijack, but make sure to tow *in OD* once you install the turbo. The RPM is too high in 3rd to give you any benefit from the turbo(fuel economy and power wise). You'll go faster, cooler, and get better economy.
This information is straight from a Banks Sidewinder IDI info post I found a while back.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but make sure to tow *in OD* once you install the turbo. The RPM is too high in 3rd to give you any benefit from the turbo(fuel economy and power wise). You'll go faster, cooler, and get better economy.
This information is straight from a Banks Sidewinder IDI info post I found a while back.
Op mentioned he has a 4spd manual, so no OD, would need a ZF 5 speed to have OD.

XLT
5spd Manual

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Op mentioned he has a 4spd manual, so no OD, would need a ZF 5 speed to have OD.

XLT
5spd Manual
The guy I quoted(not the OP) has an E4OD.

With the OP, he'll probably be in 4th towing, but there was never anything telling you *not* to tow in 4th, unlike with the E4OD and ZF5

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just took our first trip in the truck after doing the turbo install. 300-mile trip. It did great.

You must be registered for see images attach

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the top gauge is oil pressure the middle gauge is boost the two bottom gauges are EGT. One on the Driver side exhaust head and the other is the stock spot on the up-pipe for the Banks turbo.