turbo and cavatation questions

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are getting ready to put a turbo kit on my son's 85, 6.9. The truck has 177,000 miles and runs great. My question is, what needs to be done or checked before we turbo it? We are going to pull the motor and clean it up and paint it since the whole truck is getting repainted, and I was wondering if I should put new head gaskets on and are head studs needed? What pump and injectors? Is there anyway to check for cavatation before we go any further? We also are picking up an f-350 gas 4x4 for parts, we are going to swap in the axles, is this a direct bolt in for the 60 model front? Thanks for any help and info. Chad

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way to check for cavitation - either you have it or you don't, but the 6.9 isn't very likely to have that problem. I have in fact never heard of an exact case of one having the problem (if I'm wrong, I'd like to see proof).

I would suggest installing ARP head studs if you are going to pull the motor and redo the head gaskets. That would allow you to hold a good 15 psi of boost if you wanted. If you want even more, a copper sealer on the intake and exhaust manifolds might be a good idea. Although getting to 20 PSI with a standard turbo kit for the IDI is not very easy.

If you want to upgrade the fuel system I would contact Agnem. He seems to have the best injector pump available right now.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
If Your pulling the motor I'd STRONGLY suggest changing the Oil Cooler O-Rings.

Is very easy to do while You have access. A Real PITA with the engine in the truck.

Head gaskets are prolly in order. They'll go eventually, so might as well do them now, while it's easier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online