TTB knuckles on a D44?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Not sure where to put this but i am swapping a scout D44 into my Jeep diesel project and i am not sure what to do about the knuckles.

1. i have just the scout knuckles themselves (no spindle, bearings or hubs) but the arms coming off them are really long.

2. i have my jeep D30 that looks like the knuckles bolt on but the spindles wont work. not sure if i can get the D44 stub shafts to work with it to.

3. then i also have a TTB set up from a F150 with the bearings hubs and all.

i was hoping that i could swap the complete disk brake knuckles, rotor, spindle etc from the TTB set up i have and be good to go since i have this lying around.

thanks

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew about the TTB Knuckles. I have an 85 F250 parts truck that I want to pull the HD outer's off of and graft onto a D44 Monobeam to make an 8 lug D44 for my Bronco to match ta D60 rear, someday. I also have a 62 Willy's PU that I was mounting on a FSJ-20 chassis and was swapping parts around like crazy. Finally settled on an 84 CUCV 1-1/4 Ton chassis.
Anyways...What I can tell you is that the Ford D44 Monobeam knuckles will bolt right up to your Scout II axle. The Ford 5 lug BC is 5 on 5.5 so it matches the CJ and Scout rears but not the YJ's 5 on 4.5 BC.I believe all D44 Knuckles are interchangeable. There are slight differences in the length of the outer axles so to be safe, use your inner axles and the Ford outer stubs. You really need to ditch those Scout knuckles as you know, because the length of the arms won't give you enough steering cut unless you match them with a longer Pitman arm. Trash 'em and use either later Waggy stuff or Ford. FYI The waggy's use Chevy calipers.

subway

Reaction score
from the reading up i have been doing the TTB knuckles themselves do not swap over to a regular D44. most any D44 knuckles of the same era do swap though, i say most because my scout knuckles have 8 bolts holding the spindle when all the others are 6 bolt spindles. later there are some differances on how the ball joints are mounted.

right now my plan is to use my Jeeps D30 knuckles that will bolt on and everything else from the Ford TTb spindles out. my Jeep knuckles have the brake caliper cast into the knuckle itself so the spindle should match up fine with TTB knuckle having a cast brake caliper bracket also.

apperently the knuckles that do not have the brake caliper cast into them use spindles that are a 1/4" shorter to make up for the brake adapter mount bolting up.

only problem i can see being an ussue is since the steering arms on the knuckles themselves are shorter i might have to get another diff cover because the linkage will get to close lock to lock. i dont want to get another pitman to match the scout knuckles, i already have a drop pitman so i dont want to get another.

i will have to document as i go, i still might try the TTB knuckles since i will be there anyway.

so you got any extra Willy's doors?:D

subway

Reaction score
o and as far as i know you can put the larger hubs from a TTB 44 on a regualar 44 to match it. i will have to do some reading up on that.

pirate4x4 is a great resource for this kind of stuff, i mostly just search though.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TTB 44 knuckles are the same as any Ford solid knuckle except for the the F250 ones are not machined for a steering arm. All Ford disc 44's use the same 5 bolt spindle pattern.

Some TTB outers have different kingpin angles and you may need offset balljoint bushings to get your alignment right on though.

TTB 50 doesn't fit anything else though.

subway

Reaction score
when you say 5 bolt spindle pattern are you talking about the wheel right. ths spindle to knuckle should be a 6 bolt pattern (i hope).

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, All disc brake fords use the big 5 bolt spindle pattern. drum brake and closed knuckle fords used the tiny 6 bolt pattern like GM dodge and others. All 44 balljoint knuckles interchange.

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. That's interesting. Tell that to the dozen or more coil sprung ford 44 housings I've put 8 lug 80's and 90's TTB knuckles onto.

Do you understand there are several different TTB axles? 28, 35, 44 and 50? The 44 stuff bolts right up to any 44.