Trucks dead...need help.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So about a week and half ago my glow plugs had decided that they dindt want to turn off. No big deal replace the controller and all is well. So I drive the truck to my friends house park and shut off. But here's were the issue begins. When I go to get back in the truck to start it. It cranks over twice then NOTHING. Nothing has power key does absolutely nothing can't even get gauges headlights anything to work. And the number nine fuse under the dash (30 amp) was completly melted to the fuse box. But other than that I can't really visually see anything wrong. And I've checked a couple things but can't find anything wrong besides the key won't turn anything on and the melted fuse.

But....sometimes the lights like check engine etc will kind of get some life to them and if I'm lucky everything will start as normal but as soon as I turn it over there's a loud click like the solenoid makes when the starter is bad then nothing again.

I need to get it to where it at least starts.

Any ideas? Anything I should check?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Go to what you just fixed, the GP controller. Disconnect it and see if you can get the engine to turn over. You have a short somewhere. 30 amp fuses do not burn out for no reason.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need to just get it to run or move it, take everything off of the fender solenoid, and just provide power directly to the IP via a temporary wire to the B+. You can manually short the glow plug lugs to feed power to the glow plugs, and jump the fender solenoid to crank it.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to what you just fixed, the GP controller. Disconnect it and see if you can get the engine to turn over. You have a short somewhere. 30 amp fuses do not burn out fo no reason.

Alright followed ur advice. Just tryed unplugging glowug controller no change.

Although I did check the ground on the back of the passenger side head was loose.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need to just get it to run or move it, take everything off of the fender solenoid, and just provide power directly to the IP via a temporary wire to the B+. You can manually short the glow plug lugs to feed power to the glow plugs, and jump the fender solenoid to crank it.

Mel I have tryed jumping the solenoid. It won't work for some reason.
Even with key on on one of the ocassions it did give me power as soon as I jump the solenoid everything's gone and nothing happens.

Justin- battery's are fine . Putting out a solid 12.4 volts too.

Constant on starter solenoid is 12.3 volts
While the glow plug relay has just a mere . 7 volts.
So I'm thinking it's somewhere in the underhood wiring harness. (2 previous repairs on it anyways)

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel I have tryed jumping the solenoid. It won't work for some reason.
Even with key on on one of the ocassions it did give me power as soon as I jump the solenoid everything's gone and nothing happens.

Justin- battery's are fine . Putting out a solid 12.4 volts too.

Constant on starter solenoid is 12.3 volts
While the glow plug relay has just a mere . 7 volts.
So I'm thinking it's somewhere in the underhood wiring harness. (2 previous repairs on it anyways)

voltage may be OK, but what about.amperage? I think a battery puked.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
voltage may be OK, but what about.amperage? I think a battery puked.

I'll see if i can check that.
But I've started this truck with one low battery before that's mean that both would have to puke at the same time...right?
Because I had no problems until everything just quit and died. No slow cranking.
And the fact that sometimes it turns on until I try to start.

But I will pull the battery's out and have them tested.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said you repaired some wiring. Did you replace any fusible link wires with a solid wire. If you did and your melting fuses, check those wires for hot or melted, might be wires melted together in a harness causing the problem. Check the wiring to the GP Controller that you changed, your trouble started after that.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If there is no melted wires up top, and it won't jump on the fender switch, change out the fender solenoid. They are cheap and do go bad sometimes. It may have shorted internally.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no melted wires up top, and it won't jump on the fender switch, change out the fender solenoid. They are cheap and do go bad sometimes. It may have shorted internally.

I'll try it I think I have one laying around the garage.
Will the relay of a glow plug controller work? I think I read they were basically the same just glow plug was stronger.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you repaired some wiring. Did you replace any fusible link wires with a solid wire. If you did and your melting fuses, check those wires for hot or melted, might be wires melted together in a harness causing the problem. Check the wiring to the GP Controller that you changed, your trouble started after that.

Actually I dindt do the repair my self. It's when the truck was at a local diesel shop.
The wire that was fixed then came out of the main harness and went to the starter solenoid but don't rember off the top of my head wich one. I'll go look.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing I just rembered is about 4 days before the glow plug issue is my fuel gauge quite working. Only front tan tho.....not sure if something could tie all of this toghter....

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see if i can check that.
But I've started this truck with one low battery before that's mean that both would have to puke at the same time...right?
Because I had no problems until everything just quit and died. No slow cranking.
And the fact that sometimes it turns on until I try to start.

But I will pull the battery's out and have them tested.

The system is only as strong as the weakest link.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put battery charger on it...turned the key and everything went insane. All dash lights were blinking turning on and off. Tach was bouncing around. Gp relay clicking. And u could hear the fuel pump turning off and on with everything else..take battery charger off and back to absolutely nothing.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online