Truck started with no glow

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 12 volt glow plugs on a manual switch, Decided to try it at 52 degrees this morning without them.. After 10 seconds of cranking bam she lit right off. Nothing like having a properly tuned fast cranking idi..

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's unusual for sure. Still, best not to have to do that. The fuel is washing down the cylinders when its not burning, and that's causing you some unnecessary wear.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs are there to save wear on starter (among other things). Cranking for one second versus ten seconds...I'll let you do the math on how much wear that saves.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine starts right up in 1/2 crank without them if its 60 or warmer. any lower and i give them about 4 seconds.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont get all bent out of shape. I was just curious, I know when to stop. Thought I'd share how a properly working idi will fire with reasonable temps without plugs.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you figure that? I built my starter, Pressure set my injectors, Timed my pump, Installed my truetrac done my zf swap and a few other mods all myself so I know a little about what I'm doing. The consequences of cranking for maybe 10 seconds aren't really much of a concern, Now do that everyday and that's different. Now how again am I getting bent out of shape? Please enlighten me.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
How you figure that? I built my starter, Pressure set my injectors, Timed my pump, Installed my truetrac done my zf swap and a few other mods all myself so I know a little about what I'm doing. The consequences of cranking for maybe 10 seconds aren't really much of a concern, Now do that everyday and that's different. Now how again am I getting bent out of shape? Please enlighten me.
First off I'm happy for you :flipa Second read post #2 and #3
See? Your getting defensive because there telling you it's a bad idea. thus you saying "don't get bent out of shape"
when really your the one getting Bent out of shape. Simple Really. LOL

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sir I was simply sharing what happened, I would not have cranked any longer. I was proud of my ole beat up truck for starting the way it did, One never knows when glows plugs may become inoperable so it's nice to know what it could do if needed. I read those posts and yes they are informative but I seriously doubt any negative effects from doing it one time.. My point of the post was with a healthy engine and a properly set up ip and injectors and good battery's and cables these trucks are hard to beat. I would tell you to **** off but that's not my style, So goodnight... :idiot:

Last edited:

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine starts right up in 1/2 crank without them if its 60 or warmer. any lower and i give them about 4 seconds.

About anything 60 or above on mine it fires up pretty much instantly too.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
I would tell you to f**k off but that's not my style
To Quote Mary Katherine Gallagher. "Are you aware that I am rubber and you are glue, and whatever you say to me bounces off, of me, and sticks to you? So put that in your, back pocket."
LOL

Oh yeah I fixed your F-Bomb. ;Sweet