Truck problems

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this does not have to do with an idi but this section gets the most traffic and you guys seem to know quite a bit. Today I brought my fathers 2001 f350 5.4 through emissions and the test guy revved the **** out of it and the truck stalled and wouldn't start without a jump. Now the od light flashes until I start moving and first gear slips then shifts hard to second. Then it drives fine until I stop again. I managed to get it home and now it doesn't start without a jump every time.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Never take it back to that inspection station... Sounds like there is several issues. I'm making a guess but I figure its an auto trans. So the way its acting tells me the tps switch has slipped out of adjustment or its failed. As for the stalling and needing a jump I really can't add much. Why did the guy need to rev the engine like that.. Might be something was ready to fail or that fool caused something to fail because of a heavy hand operstion. You have not said how many miles are on the truck or what contion its in or how it has been maintained. Sorry I can't be more help.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its got high miles and I figured what ever when was gonna go soon anyways Since it isn't exactly in great shape. But I disconnected the battery and put it back on and drove around town. And it seems to be fine now but I am waiting for it to start acting up again. Maybe it was just a fluke in the computer or something?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ouch... Thats gonna hurt the wallet replacing the trans... Might just have been about time for it to let go too. But not knowing more about the trucks overall maintance and condition I am only guessing now... Best of luck. Hopefully there is a warranty for the miles on the rig. Maybe you can get something from a warranty repair too.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is the second one in my sig. Maintained well drivetrain wise. Rest of the truck is rotted though. No warranties or anything. But I hope it was just a fluke or sensor. Because before I reset the computer dtc p0720 came up. Wich is the output shaft speed sensor.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its got high miles and I figured what ever when was gonna go soon anyways Since it isn't exactly in great shape. But I disconnected the battery and put it back on and drove around town. And it seems to be fine now but I am waiting for it to start acting up again. Maybe it was just a fluke in the computer or something?
a convertor that is locked up will stall out a gasser. it will cause a hard start in a diesel or a gasser.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
if the output shaft sensor goes wonky it could be locking up the torque converter. or the converter could be going bad as was mentioned. I would get the "tech" that did it and find his manager/ shop owner and raise the level of **** to above the chest wader mark! There is no excuse for abusing a customer vehicle, no matter the condition. If it was damaged by negligence or abuse then the shop/employee responsible should be held accountable.

punk