Truck **** - New paint!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has been a busy and expensive year for my truck. My goal was to have serious maintenance items complete before winter, including the D60, brake installs and, finally, PAINT!;Really

My truck has never gone a year without rustproofing. Since new it has receive an annual spraying of hydraulic fluid. After twenty years the original paint is tired and needs to be redone. The good news is that there is no rust. I have a few dings - "kids, don't ride your bikes around the truck" - five minutes later BANG. :mad: - but the biggest mark on the body could be filled with a teaspoon of filler.

Prep work. I spent two days cleaning and removing hardware. Most of this time was washing, rewashing, and washing again. I removed the front bumper - this was easy because I have a hitch on it and I could line it up with the hitch on my tractor.
You must be registered for see images attach

This setup also worked really well to let me grind it down and refinish it. Grind, primer, rocker guard and then a topcoat of 'farm' implement paint. The bumper and bush bar have a textured finish. While the winch was off I rebuilt that also.

Here are some pictures of the truck before paint. I pressure washed the **** out of it to remove anything that was able to come loose.

here is the worst ding (kids bike)

Inside door - NO RUST

continued...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had wanted to paint it myself but I simply didn't have the time. I am also familiar with acrylic enamel, which is impossible to get in Canada. I took it to a buddy of mine who has done body work and paint for forty years. I do lots of work for him fixing equipment so he was very happy to help me out.

I want this original, the Ford paint code is 'KG' - and is the only color that looks good on this truck :rotflmao There is a fairly high level of metallic in this paint.

Truck is ready for spraying.

Fast forward two months...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine needs paint badly, at the end of this weekend, itll be 2 different shades of blue, 2 different shades of white, brown, and green lol
but all the modifications to the body will be done, and shell get a squirt in the spring.
i dont have a booth to paint it in, so its gonna have to be painted in the garage.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The final product. My paint man knew that this truck is my pride an joy. He is always working on some POS that is rusted out and abused (like the four year old Ram 1500 with no door bottoms next to mine). Long story short, he spent the same amount of item with mine as he would have working on the POS. When he was finished he told me that it was his masterpiece. Maybe a little too dramatic but I'm fine with that as long as the truck is ok.

I was finally able to get the truck cleaned up for photos this weekend.

Here is a close up of the metallic. The top coat was sprayed to bring the metallics out.

Thanks for looking!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not bad, not bad at all! LOL

You seriously need some Alcoas man....just saying

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn fine job ya have there now keep it clean and well washed from road grime and you should be set for many many years.

One thing...

Too shiny for me...need be flat camo ;Poke nice olive drab or desert sand but I suppose in those pics flat white would be more appropriate LOL

Naw really man looks nice damn fine and you should be proud!

InnovativeAV

Reaction score
Looks awesome....I will wait until spring to shoot mine.....mine is also primer black, forest green and white!!! I think I will go with a very shiny black!!

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just googled 'Alcoas' and year of my truck... Aluminum rims? On a truck? ***? cookoo

I get it, my truck is so pretty you guys think I should put girly rims on it. :rotflmao

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kinda doubt that the dog dishes were standard issue on that year truck....;Poke