Truck overheated due to bad tstat now no oil pressure

Gigihurt

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago my truck over heated due to a bad thermostat. Changed that on the day after. As I was driving it down the road to verify it was cooling properly i noticed my oil pressure falling as I gave it fuel. I know its a id10t gauge and not a good representation of oil pressure at all. Getting a manual gauge this afternoon. Any ideas? If it has to come out its not going back in, I have other motors waiting to get in the old beast. I have no rattles from the engine and no knocks or tappet noise.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a thought, when you say that your truck overheated, are you saying that's what they temp gauge told you? If so, that gauge can't really be trusted either. I know mine can be all over the place.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once spun a bearing in my bronco, factory gauge said I was gaining oil pressure when it warmed up. Checked it with a manual gauge and found out how wrong it really was. I won't trust them anymore.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted. The factory dash gauges are not really believable. Now some actually work.. Some of the time. You posted your engine overheated. Please give more info on that. Did it get so hot the engine quit running or did you shut down and allow a cooling off. Now what thermostat did you install. The only thermostat that works in our engines is the factory one. It starts opening at 192 degrees and is fully open by 212. Others will fit and look like our original but they are cheap chinese copies and will fail. This has been proven many times on this forum. Those that looks differnt can't pass enough coolant to keep the engines cool either.
As for oil pressure not showing a correct level of pressure. Not to worry. Usually the wire connector gets loose and makes a bad contact. A pair of pliers will squeeze that right again.

Gigihurt

Reaction score
The truck began to overheat on sunday pulling the camper home from a great weekend. I stopped three times in the 15 mile drive to let it cool and on my way I went to the house as there was no other place to stop. Long hill and a loss of power as it was heated pretty good pulling about 10k up a good grade for about a half mile on my road. I live at the highest point in pensacola florida. Changed the stat on monday with the proper motorcraft tstat no more overheating beleive me I loaded it up. The oil pressure and gauge issue has yet to be investigated as I havent had alot of time this last month. I plan to check it this or next week. I was Just asking to see if other have had the issue and a resolution.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Well you probably screwed the pooch on that one. Loss of power means it was really hot and hating life. Hook up a manual gauge and see what it is.

The truck began to overheat on sunday pulling the camper home from a great weekend. I stopped three times in the 15 mile drive to let it cool and on my way I went to the house as there was no other place to stop. Long hill and a loss of power as it was heated pretty good pulling about 10k up a good grade for about a half mile on my road. I live at the highest point in pensacola florida. Changed the stat on monday with the proper motorcraft tstat no more overheating beleive me I loaded it up. The oil pressure and gauge issue has yet to be investigated as I havent had alot of time this last month. I plan to check it this or next week. I was Just asking to see if other have had the issue and a resolution.