truck not starting again

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
My truck has all eight new glow plugs and a manual controller and was starting very good just a couple seconds of cranking. Now the truck still starts right up and dies within 2 seconds then I have to crank for at least 1 minute to fire. I am getting fuel smoke at first then while i'm cranking nothing then it will just fire right up and only stumble a couple seconds then it runs all day no problem.Any ideas or should I put in the electric fuel pump. Also how are you wiring them in to the ignition.

SKimballC

Reaction score
Air, air, air, my friend. How are your return caps and lines looking? Try plugging it in overnight to ensure that your GP's are functioning right.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
plugging in doesn't make any difference it's only been 15 derees for the past 3 days The return caps feel a little loose but i'm not shure if thats it but i'll get a kit for it. last week one of the braided overfuel lines was leaking right througt the hose fixed that thought it might help but it didn't seem to make a diiference. is there any chance it could be gelled or fuel filter it only has 3500 miles

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Sounds like air, allright.You fire right up, untill the air get's into the Injector Lines. Then she dies. Then you crank untill the air is passed thru the injs.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the return caps got knocked loose when doing the GP's Get the air leak stopped. and you will be happy.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
If your return line seals check out, there are two seals in the inj pump supply line, one on each end. This can cause a problem with prime and may not leak much fuel (trust me). If you have a metal return line from the pump, there's another one of these seals but I think larger.
James

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have the part #s for the hardline seals you're talking about? i just got a set of new injectors and return line kit and was thinking i should replace the seals also
thanks

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
E3TZ-9K260-A
pkg of two for supply line. I haven't got one for the return line, I have an electric pump and since it doesn't leak fuel (and is easy to get to!) am not worried about it. Could probably take your line to a seal place and pick them up cheaper.
James

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, i am just trying to cover all my bases till i get this air leak figured out

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should go and rip it up the highway for about 15 minutes to ensure the fuel system has been purged of air after installing any new components. That will give you a more accurate assesment of your repair in the morning...

If you still have trouble in the morning it could just be residiual air in the system, and not a current leak, if that makes sense...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that won't get all the air out. If find that what is usually needed is 3 driving "cycles" to get all the air out. Each time you shut it off, the air moves to places that it won't move while it's running, and then it will purge when you restart, but it seldom gets it all out with just one repitition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online