Truck is running great, but won’t drive

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m having an issue. I got the truck running great. Figured it was time to try and move it. Transfer case is in 2H, in both reverse and 1st, the truck feels like the brakes are locked up. All tires spin freely in neutral, so I wouldn’t think brakes are the issue. I put rear end on jacks and verified that the rear tires spin in 1st and reverse. I don’t even know where to start diagnosing this.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have an issue in either the transmission or the transfer case. I would lean toward the transmission since you didn't mention putting the transfer case in neutral to get the wheels to roll freely. Maybe you should refresh our memories on exactly what happened with the truck.

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck sat for about 5 years. Don’t know the history before that except the previous owner rebuilt the engine before passing away. I put a new IP, new injectors, new glow plugs, new tanks (front and rear), new tank selector valve and switch, new lines all around. Haven’t touched the brakes much except to verify that they aren’t locked up. I was thinking tranny or T case, but am confused why the wheels spin while up in the air and under power.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you try putting the transfer case in 4-Low and seeing if it goes thru all the forward gears ok? If you believe something is binding, one good way to check is to check for heat around any suspect areas. Laser temp probe is a pretty good way to look for elevated temps at axles, transfer case, wheel bearings, etc.

Keep chasing, you'll find the culprit eventually, but sometimes you'll have to break something to find the weakest link.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Sounds like something is rusted up or goo’d up and causing drag. The rear wheels spin freely but do the fronts? Maybe the fronts are rusted up.

Unlock the front hubs if they are not already and let them free spool. That would rule out you are binding up if it’s actually in 4wd.

Then put in neutral while the rear axle is off the ground and spin the driveshaft to see if it’s hard to turn. Look to see if

1) Your u-joints or center support bearing is rusted and causing friction.
2) It’s locked up or hard to turn due to the tranny, transfer case, or axle issue.
3) Perhaps the transfer case in or partially in 4wd.

Sounds like something rusted up while sitting. Is the tranny auto or stick? Less likely in an auto but if you have moisture in a stick tranny and it sits sweating for 5 years you may have some rusted bearings and gears.

Let us know as you go, will be interesting to learn what happened.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll agree with Bart. I was thinking about something in the transmission possibly rusting from sitting.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put your transfer case in neutral can you roll the truck?

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds Like the transfer case is shifting. Being it has sat for so long, I would check the park pawl in the transmission. Detent rolls on a bearing, if there’s rust it would stick.

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks guys! At least I have a place to start looking.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if I’m reading correctly you’re saying that all 4 wheels spin freely when off the ground and the trans in neutral. And you said both rear wheels turn in 1st and reverse with the rear end in the air? Was that with the truck running? Are you sure both wheels were turning? It’s a manual, so there is no parking pawl. Does it just feel like it’s struggling to move, or will it stall out the engine?

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it feels like the truck is chained down. It torques like it wants to go, but just sits there. The rear tires spin when in the air and Im pushing on the accelerator with the truck running.