Truck Fires up runs for 3 seconds dies

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
And i have to pull it to get it started cause it will not fire up before the bats die. It fires right up too, like the truck should be it isnt hesitating on firing up. But it fires and runs for a few seconds (im reving it up like normal so she'll run) and then she dies and wont fire until i pull her in gear for about a 1/8 mile.

Im thinking bad lift pump anyone else think that?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Sounds like air in your fuel lines. When was the last time you changed your return lines and caps?

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Oooo about 2 years ago, i dont see any leaking fuel and ive not been anywhere around them. Ive had where they was leaking like a siff and iddnt have thisp roblem. Its like the motor runs completely out of fuel

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
When i got my 86 the lines looked new, so i was very hesitant about changing them and the caps. But w a lil persuasion from the guys on here i did it. When i was taking them off the lines were cracked and the caps were brittle. Now after a year, i have not had one starting issue

sootman73

Reaction score
replace fuel filter. might be clogged or something. it doesn sound like you have a leakdown problem. lets not forget that there are more places for air intrusion than the return lines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Fuel starvation is your issue... Now figureing out why is the thing to do... A lift pump or the fuel filter being plugged up could be whats wrong... You also could have a hole in the suction lines from the tanks.... Or a bad in tank pickup if your running the tanks down to 1/4 full... So the simplest is to fill a tank and test it... Then look over all the fuel lines from the tanks to the lift pump... From the lift pump to the filter and injection pump you have around 5 lbs of pressure... Those leaks will be wet ones... Before the pressure from the lift pump its going to be a vacuum leak and sometimes they are dry. Do the simple things first... Then start throwing parts and money at it...:sly

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I got a new filter on the way, going to town to grab a Electrical pump. the filter should be here soon, (not using a stock filter but a fram ps6643 that has a built in water sept and so on) gonna try that fuel pump and the filters if that doenst do it, imma run out of good ideas. sootman you say it does or doesnt sound like a leakdown prob?

sootman73

Reaction score
and it does start and run after you pull start it? does it stay running then?

i've ran out of fuel before(parked on a hill with about empty tank) i just switched to the other tank and cranked. it fired off just fine after 30 seconds.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Also been about a year since a filter change.......now that i look at me records...... those things go bad????cookoo cookoo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If it fires up, then dies, then you have to crank like crazy til the batts run down and have to put it on a chain to drag it to get it going, then that sound like you have a few injecectors slobbering. That is classic. I bet the thing is making a bad knocking sound at partial throttle as well.
When you have leaking injectors, they leak out fuel into the cylinders overnight, so that;s where you loose your line and pump prime to , but you have just enough fuel in the cylinders to fire for a few seconds, then it quits, then you crank and crank and crank til the batts go kaput and it's chain time
Sounds like you need to get ahold of Russ ( Type4) and order a set of injectors. Don't forget an install kit.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
My vote is air in the lines. I had to battle this recently. I pulled everything apart to fix the return caps and it actually turned out being the line that ran from the fuel filter to the injection pump was leaking. I had to pull all the injection lines completely out to fix it as it was the line in the center of the 8 on the injection pump. The O-ring had gone bad somehow... I made a makeshift one and put some RTV on it and put it all back together.

Everything is fine now.

When I had the problems, if the truck sat for more than a couple days it would start up run for a few seconds then just rattle to a stall. Would then have to crank and crank and crank to get it fired back up. Usually had to hook up jumper cables to other car as batteries would die down too far.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I though a new filter on it today, Hopefully that fixes it, i talked to the local parts guy when i was there, im not the only one that is buying a filter, he said he's sold about 100 in the last 3 or 4 weeks to big trucks and other diesel guys, he says it sounds to him there is bad diesel around here.... Just my luck

in other news the truck is starting better and i drained multiple colors out of the fuel filter, which was no where normal. Hopefully that fixes it, if not im through an eletric fuel pump on it. I just need this truck to get my ass through winter, then i should have a car to drive while i build another truck (using motor/trans for the 69 out of this one)