truck died

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i was 20 yards from my drive and the truck just died. yes it has fuel. it didnt make any noises but it just died and wont start. it smell like the hot brakes, (clutch). would a clutch going out cause this? any suggestions?

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok just checked. fuel at the filter, both ends. no fuel at my injectors. or at least the injector line i checked. i guess the pump wnet south? it acted a little funny about a block before it died. the motor didnt make any weird noised it seemed fuel related. like the fuel had been cut off. the engine cranks over well.

aaklingler

Reaction score
do u have 12 volts on, i think, the front terminal on top of the ip, it could be the back one i can't remember?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the big one with the heavier gauge red wire. The IP may have busted a shaft. This may also be what caused your low power problem. It sucks but its true that some people can't build an IP and even the good builders build a **** here and there. You do have another IP I think? Swap it in, if it turns out that the voltage is there. You can verify a busted shaft by taking off the fuel screw cover and noting if you see any movement when the pump is out(suppose you could do it in the truck to...but really, not the best idea;)) Good luck solving the issue

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the first check.....but its probably not that. From my own experiences and reading abunch of other posts here, seems like its almost always either air or the pump shaft snapped when it just stops all of a sudden like that...unless you have no "click" when the FSS gets power key on...then its usually the wiring... I hear the DB2 FSS fails more often on 6.2/6.5s more often but not so much on Fords.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
disregaurd earlier post^. the FSS is clicking, and i am getting fuel into and out of my filter, but none out of the injectors. i let it crank for a while too. also my GP relay clicks for a long time when i turn the ignition on but dont start it. is that normal? it always clicks after the wait to start light has already gone out.

i went to my parents last night and picked up my injection pump off the 7.3. i have no clue how to change this out. yes i read the tech articles. still am uneasy as i havent done it yet. someone could feel free to talk me through it. 618-444-3951. of course most people with a working truck are probably at work. have i mentioned that i am buying a brand new truck with a warranty of some kind? i am beginning to hate this truck. i am sure i made someone out there gasp:)
but if it wont run and be dependable, i dont care what it is, it aint worth a ****.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn't make me gasp, but it did disuade me from reaching for the phone.

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok well i got the new one on, hooking up all the plumbing now. if it will half ass run i am heading across town to the dealership to have them time it. if it wont half ass run, i will have a use for all the training the army gave me in heavy explosives.

ramon f350

Reaction score
well I did nt see anything on the natoinal news about an Army guy going crazy and blowing up his Ford truck so is it safe to assume that it ran good enough to get it to the stealership to be timed...... if that is the case are you all good now?

Ramon

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ex army:)
not a bush fan. anyways. other than at the fuel filter, and the injectors, is there anywhere in between that i can bleed the air out of? i am at least getting a little fuel to come out with this injection pump.( the batteries were dead so i couldnt get it to crank very fast)it is charging now:dunno

illinoisboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, i didnt crank the engine in between pumps(who would). and i made a mark with an awl on the gear cover and the gear hub?the thing that bolts to the shaft of the IP. it should be relatively close on the timing shouldnt it?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be about static timed. Close enough to start and run with no damage to anything at least. It can vary from pump to pump...you might be dead on or a degree or two out. You're almost there, don't give up!! You just need good charged batteries and you'll be running again. After that, perhaps there's 'an IDI'er in your area who'd time the engine, if not, check IH, Ford and independent injection shops. Make sure to ask specifically if they will be timing with tools or by ear, you really want it timed with tools. 1.5*ATDC @1400RPM for luminosity method or 8.5*BTDC at 2000 with the pulse method. They shouldn't charge more than 1 hour of labor if that's all it needs. Be sure you chase down all your leaks and give it a little run time before you get frustrated with it. It does make a difference. After that, you may de ide the truck is reliable and you love it again or if you want to sell it you shouldn't have any trouble...a 94 with a turbo and a 6.9...yep. Good luck whatever you decide,
JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online