Troubleshooting my 7.3 IDI

Brent

Reaction score
Hello all and I'm new to Oil Burners. I bought a 10/91 F-250 with a 7.3 idi a few years back. This truck been sitting out in a field for 7 years before I bought it. Since I got laid-off I've been having some time to work on my truck.

The first thing I had trouble finding was a oil cooler for it as it had a corroded spot on the housing of the Oil filter. Took me a half a year to find this cause they don't make them anymore. When I replaced this I added mystery oil to the crankcase and got her running. She is running beautiful with no smoke from exhaust. Changed the Oil / Oil Filter / and fuel filter out. With the fuel filter I noticed that had some bad diesel in it. I removed the bed and changed out the sending unit cause the fuel gauge wasn't working either. When I removed the sending unit I found paraffin in the fuel tank which I cleaned out good and put in new foots in the tanks and fresh diesel. I cleaned the steal lines and replaced all rubber fuel lines. Lift pump changed out. Got her primed back up and started. Every time I have to start her now I need to push the accelerator pedal 1/4 way in. She idles like a kitten, but when I put a load on her while test driving her around the yard and stepping on the fuel she does fine, but when I let off the accelerator she will die while the truck is in drive. I have to get her primed back up to get her started again.

I don't see any air coming from the fuel return lines, but the line from the fuel filter housing to the return side of the injector will drop.

I haven't done yet is:

1. Replace injectors
2. Injection Pump
3. Glow Plugs
4. Glow Plug Controller

Engine has been replaced and only has 20k miles on it from 7 years ago

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From IDIBRONCO in another post:
First, check all of your fluids to make sure that they're at the proper level and aren't contaminated. The next thing that I'd do is to buy a new fuel filter. Pull the old one off and drain it into a clean drain pan. Then look at the drained fuel for algae or some other contaminant. If you can see anything out of the ordinary, it's time to dig into the fuel system. If it looks clear, I'd put the filter back and then try to get it running. If you can get the engine started, then the best thing that you can do is to fill the new filter with ATF. Install it and start your engine again. Let it run for 30-60 seconds. Shut it off and let it sit overnight. This will help to loosen up anything that may be a little sticky in your injector pump.

Your paraffin may have been algae in the fuel

Brent

Reaction score
When I changed out my fuel filter I put diesel Kleen in it. Today I put atf in it an letting it sit for a couple of days. I did opened up the solenoid and viewed atf was in the bowl and lines.

Will update to see if that works.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atf is a better solvent.
Keep jp the updates, these guys are good at this ****!
I'm working on a new 4x4 site, so aint in here a lot now...

Brent

Reaction score
Okay I got the ATF done and let it set for 36 hours in the IP. Started up and went to let it idle while getting out of truck she dies. Got her started again and while pressing accelerator she is having erratic rpm's along with like starving for fuel. Having an excessive amount of white smoke coming out of tailpipe. Along with pushing accelerator tends to do nothing sometimes.

Link to Video with Sound (Big File)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19jkEWg7c8y0n_iNUZn1fEuAIimFA8M4B

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First knee jerk reaction...
Air intrusion
bad glows

Fire it up get it to temp, redo the atf, ?(new filter known to be good?)?
Do the block heater on a warm day 2 + hrs
Then crack all 8 injectors, (one at a time), disconect the fuel solenoid crank over 8 cycles of rumm rumm key on continually.
Stop let starter cool
If you are worried let starter cool tween each stick...
Then hook up solenoid, and try glows 2 cycles...
Does the clicking sound normal as to time tween clicks?

Try and start it....
Reply back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online