Trip comments and questions (real long and boring!)

BKahler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a few comments and questions regarding my recent 3700 mile round trip in my 88 F250 hauling vechiles (two small cars) from Jefferson Arkansas to Fredericksburg VA to drop off the first car then on to Albany NY to drop off the second car and then up to Lake George NY to pickup a 1953 1-ton dodge power wagon and back down to Lost Creek West Virginia to drop some parts off and finally home to Jefferson AR with the power wagon.

This is my first real long distance heaving hauling trip with the 7.3 IDI. In a lot of ways I'm impressed and in at least one way disappointed. I only had one mechanical problem along the way. Sometime during the first night of driving I noticed the v-belts started squealing. I watched the gauges and nothing really changed other than the coolant temp climed ever so slightly. If figured it was probably a glazed belt and decided I'd replace it in the morning. Stopped for the night and when I checked the belts in the morning I immediately noticed that the two belts on the alternator were hanging loose like the alternator had gone way out of adjustment. What really happened was the lower pivot bolt and backed itself out to the point where it was hitting the radiator shroud. It had totally backed out of the alternator allowing the lower part of the alternator to release the belt tension. The only reason I didn't lose the bolt was because the plastic radiator shroud was in the way. :angel: So I screwed the bolt back in and found that it wasn't tightening down. Either the end of the bolt was stripped or the captive nut was. Needless to say I was scratching my head for a few minutes on how to continue the trip without dismantling the alternator mount to fix it. Tie-wraps to the rescue. I wrapped it up with a half dozen tie-wraps and managed the rest of the trip with no more problem from the bolt. At least I can fix it in my shop instead of along side the road ;p.

Anyway, other than the bolt the only other complaint was the lack of pulling power going up those long grades in western Maryland on I-68 and West Virginia on I-79. My truck has the 3.54 gear set and I'm hoping thats the reason the power level was so bad on those hills. I actually ended up in 2nd gear (C6 tranny) on most of the grades traveling around 32 mph.

So, is the 3.54 gear set the problem or is there possibly something wrong with the engine?

Overall I'm quite pleased with the dependability of the truck and how well it ran other than the lack of power on the long hills.

Temperatures stayed fairly steady as did the oil pressure.

The A/C system at times seemed to not cool as well as it should have. That mostly occured in the afternoons when it was hottest out. Its still the R-12 system and I have no idea about its overall condition. Any thoughts?

There is no doubt I'm definitely sold on using a diesel for heavy duty hauling from now on ;Sweet

Brad

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
A 4.10 gear would help on the hills, but mileage would suffer on flat ground with a C6. A turbo would make a differance. Too much heat in the cab? The heater core has hot coolant flowing in it all the time. A bypass valve can be installed to keep the coolant out of the heater core so the air cond. doesn't have to work as hard to cool the cab.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Well just to begin the gears and no turbo on long hills will be wy you cant go too fast, also c6 has 3 gears if I'm not wrong and I think is good it went down one gear (I don't have one someone with more exp will chime in) you can allways get a gear-vendor.

How long have You had the truck? there is lots of things to do on it to improve power (injectors, IP,etc). Also for the hills on west Maryalnd or any hill I'd reccomend some real gauges like pyro, coolant temp, oil pressure etc.

Hope it helped at all.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A roughly 7000 lb truck with an estimated 7000 lb load, (vehicles plus trailer), 3.55 (highway) gears and no turbo... I'd say she did well. Smile:D because it did the job and you didn't spend $40 - 50k on a new truck.

There's always a trade off in the automotive world. Gear it low and she'll pull stumps but fuel mileage suffers, gear it high (like I did cause 99.9% of my driving is just hauling ass) and fuel milage is great but pulling power suffers, gear it in the middle and you trade a little of each.

As far as your AC is concerned. It might pay to get it checked, might be just a little low on freon. The AC in these blows nice and cold when they are right, especially in a small regular cab. Mine will freeze me out if I leave it on Max with high fan.:thumbsup:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have a 4.10 rear end pretty soon if you're interested, talk to me after this weekend. On teh other hand, I'm swapping to the 3.55 set because I can't deal with 3000 RPM at 68mph anymore and most of my driving is on teh flat lands. Also a turbno will probably be going in soon. That should get me my power back. IDK what fuel mileage you're getting or if it matters to you but with the C6 and 4.10s I've been getting 11-15mpg empty and 11-12 towing. I'm hoping for 14-16 in town and 17+ on the highway empty, I don't care if it sucks when I'm towing heavy.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I-68 (***** mountain, Big Savage, and others) is a tough sum *****. The Moose Truck has hauled the boat over those hills many times. There are not enough gears in a C6 to keep you moving. A GV overdrive might allow you to pick up 10MPH, and as was stated, a turbo is really a requirement for I-68 and I-79. Between the thinner air, high temps, and gruling grades, just getting over them in any gear with an NA is reason enough to be happy.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, just curious...how do those grades compare to the Grapevine?

Shorter and steeper. In my experience out west it seems the notorous grades are ridiculously long like grapevines what seems to be 40 miles. Out east they are shorter (4 - 7 miles) but steep for the entire run. We have sone nasty grades out here like Sandstone, Saluda, Black mountain etc...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Appalachians don't compare to the Rocky's in height, but what they lack in magnificance, they make up for in brutal rugedness. I like the sign at the bottom of the hill on Backbone Mountain, coming into the Piedmont area. It's a hill that has one of those famous "Trucks must stop here and check there brakes" signs. The road ends at a T intersection, and the T is backed with a cliff face that has a cross on it for every person who couldn't stop. The sign naturally reads "Prepare to meet thy GOD"

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Agnem said:
The Appalachians don't compare to the Rocky's in height, but what they lack in magnificance, they make up for in brutal rugedness. I like the sign at the bottom of the hill on Backbone Mountain, coming into the Piedmont area. It's a hill that has one of those famous "Trucks must stop here and check there brakes" signs. The road ends at a T intersection, and the T is backed with a cliff face that has a cross on it for every person who couldn't stop. The sign naturally reads "Prepare to meet thy GOD"

I don't know what the elevation is where you all live. Our problem out west is we are already at 5-6000 feet before we even get into the mountains. My two NA trucks wouldn't know what to do with a gulp of nice dense air! We have to travel through the very southern trail of the Rockies (Sangria De Cristo's) to get to Albuquerque. They're really just big hills here...they don't get too large until about 50 miles north around Santa Fe. A true test of ANY trucks fortitude is the climb up Raton Pass going north on I-25 out of Raton, New Mexico. On the down side there is actually a run away lane for trucks who's brakes fail so they don't plummet off a cliff into the vallley.

Tom

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's very true. In Appalachia, on a hot summer day, the air can be so humid, that you feel like it's crushing you. It might be dense, but it's also ******. I don't know which would be worse. Overheated air, or thin cool air. I doubt either is good.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Agnem said:
. I like the sign at the bottom of the hill on Backbone Mountain, coming into the Piedmont area. It's a hill that has one of those famous "Trucks must stop here and check there brakes" signs.

I went to school in Frostburg & crossed Sidling Hill (I-68) more times than I care to count. I've done that hill in a 2.8l chevy S-10 blazer, a 5.0 Mustang, & every tow truck & tractor trailer I've owned. Mustang excluded, nothing climbed that hill quickly!!

Those "Check Brakes Here" signs are no joke. I've seen 2 trucks use the runaway ramps coming down out of Fancy Gap on I-77 & 1 truck completely miss the scale house coming into North Carolina out of VA on I-77 in the last 2 months because their brakes faded to nothing coming down those long grades. Very scary to be in........front........of one of those guys. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online