Transmission struggles

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!
IMHO, your gauge may be inaccurate. Other than your hybrid turbo iirc, our trucks are pretty similar. I'm running the same transmission cooler sandwiched between the condenser and the radiator. I'm pulling a 10k 30ft tow behind trailer and two weeks ago I pulled it from upstate N.Y. to South West Florida. Once it got to temp (it took a while), it held pretty consistently at 180*. A little lower up north in the cold and a bit higher on the big 2nd gear climb through the gap. I've got 4.10 gears. Same turbo, pump, injectors and exhaust on my (I think) 3.73 geared 2wd '90 with the same 6.0 cooler but mounted first in the stack in front of the condenser running the very same AutoMeter gauge and sender (same sender location as you) on the same trip and it ran around 165*-170*...

Could be the gauge. The TowMax has digital and needle reading. Digital reading was about 132 and the needle was pegged. After adding the qt of fluid the needle had the same reading as digital. I will keep an on it.

Andrew Anderson

Reaction score
So the truck is new to me. When the blacknoma gets into town we will assess the torque converter situation. Trans fluid looks alright. It not a jerking shift it just gets up to about 3000 rpms sometimes and then takes a second to actually shift into the next gear but definitely not a jerking transition. I mean it is an old pickup and we are doing what we can here and there just needed some other input. Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Will definitely keep y'all posted

Andrew Anderson

Reaction score
You mean the fuel delivery problem affecting the shifts? Stranger things have happened, but I doubt it.
I'm no e4od expert, but I hate to say it, but sounds like the torque converter might be going **** up. Is the OD light flashing?
The over drive light is flashing but only from time to time its not flashing Everytime I start the truck. I replaced the sensor. And adjusted it as well still not wanting to shift.