Transmission dipstick on turbo swap

Blue94

Reaction score
Hoping to get some information on this, I used the search function but I could not find what I was looking for on the forum. I am getting things together for my turbo swap and I need to do something with my transmission dipstick on my e4od. Does anybody still sell the one I need or is it only in the junk yard?

TIA

Eric

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one laying around some where I took it off my 94 IDIT. Believe I have the tube and stick. I'll look for it tomorrow.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wes- from the banks picture and info it looks like Banks is selling the entire dipstick tube, did you say you have it and like it? Are you running an aftermarket downpipe such as the banks piece?

When I did my kit I put the banks downpipe on and ended up just cutting the dipstick and using a rubber hose, but that flew like a lead baloon and now my dipstick comes out behind the bottom of my plastic fender liner, which as you can imagine for my highly leaking transmission is quite a pain when I try to fill it. Usually ends with quite a mess every where and about half of the amount of fluid I had intended actually in the transmission

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found reading a dipstick on an E4OD to be very ambiguous and have overfilled at least once, which caused the trans to overheat. It cooled back to normal when I drained some out. I have a switch that selects engine or trans temp.

So I installed a sight tube. The tube I used is plastic, probably vinyl. Any sight tube is fragile, and plastic will degrade over time, and there is an exhaust pipe near by. The valve is only to be open when the tube is being read. After using the system the valve is closed and a plug is put in the end of the tube to keep out dirt. The tube plug must be out for the tube to read properly. Also fluid that is added does not change the level in the tube instantly. It takes a few seconds for the new level to settle.

Then all you need is something to plug the dip stick tube. It can be a dip stick, just the handle of a dip stick, a plug,,,.

Or, you could extend the tube to a more convenient location for filling, and maybe add a permanent funnel with a cap so you can pour directly into the tube and not need a separate funnel.

Running in park, with the trans warm, the fluid should be at the top of the pan, no higher.

With a fresh transmission, fill to the top of the pan, start the engine, gradually fill to a bit below the top of the pan. When you are sure the trans is warm, do a final check.

See pic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFquy53SZ93WGecP7

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found reading a dipstick on an E4OD to be very ambiguous and have overfilled at least once, which caused the trans to overheat. It cooled back to normal when I drained some out. I have a switch that selects engine or trans temp.

So I installed a sight tube. Running in park the fluid should be at the top of the pan, no higher. See pic.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fFquy53SZ93WGecP7
That’s genius. I need every e40d to have this, always such a pain trying to get the fluid right

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've got a deep pan there, where do you normally expect your level to sit? just below the pan top level?

Edit- went back and read rather than just asking and you clearly State your answer haha

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a pretty good discount on banks products through work so it would probably cost more in material for me to make than just be the guinea pig on theirs haha

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blue94

Reaction score
I have one laying around some where I took it off my 94 IDIT. Believe I have the tube and stick. I'll look for it tomorrow.

If you find it and want to part with it, let me know, I would buy it. Where are you in Indiana? I live on the Illinois side of the river about 25 miles from Vincennes and about 40 from Terre Haute.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin

Staff online

Members online