Transmission additive?

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
I bought "Pro-long" transmission additive for my truck but, my manual says not to add any type of supplement or additive to the trans. or shifting problems could occur. Many mechanics I know recommend adding "Pro-long" to the engine oil, but never mentioned "Pro-long" for the transmission. So I thought I would ask what you guys thought. So what do ya think?

-Thanks!

P.S. I have an 03 Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.0L Powerstroke diesel truck with the 5R110 Torqshift automatic transmission.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I have used Problend treatments in my engines and transmissions for several years and they work as advertised. Coolant and oil temps drop substantially, everything smooths out nicely, quiets down substantially. But having said that, the best thing to do for your engine and transmission is to do a full Amsoil conversion, and add a FS2500 filter to the transmission. No need for treatments after that.
I didn't mean to get off subject, because you did ask about Prolong. Problend is better, and Amsoil Synthetics don't need it.

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info! I already planned on installing the FS2500 1 micron bypass oil filter and getting ARP head studs before adding any more power parts than an air intake and straight pipe exhaust system. The powerstroke help site/ vids recommend the "pro-long" for the engine oil, but didnt mention "pro-long" for the trans. so thats why I asked.

-Again, thanks

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I'll tell you what happened with my Powerstrokes. I have had 2- 7.3PSDs (early models: one 94, the other a 96, both in van chassis). Because these engines were in cramped engine compartments, everything ran hotter and performance suffered somewhat. And because the oil would often get pushed to the limit temp wise, idle quality and throttle response would suffer, especially in hot weather. Motor oil was not meant to be used as a hydraulic fluid, but that was how our fuel injection system was designed. So anyway, I Problended the motor and trans, and immediately the idle quality improved, the temps dropped 15-20 degrees and turbo response was much better. Then I did the Amsoil conversion on the engine and trans and it improved again. Throttle response improved and the idle was stable no matter how hot the ambient temp was.
One day I was going to do my route in my 96 and the high pressure oil lines blew at highway speed with a full load. Lost all my oil, and I was anticipating the worse. So I got the lines fixed, and the motor ran as well as it did before it happened. No turbo damage, no increase in oil consumption.;Sweet

Last edited:

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Also, when im driving my truck and get on the throttle hard I sometimes get a weird smell of coolant in the cab. The trucks not running hot and has been warmed up properly before driven everytime. I know that the 6.0L has had issue with the wrong type of coolant being used in the system, which turns into glue and royaly screws things up. I just bought this truck two weeks ago and dont know exactly what coolant was used. I bought it used from a chevy dealer who's parnet owners also own Ford dealers and said all the right fluid would have been used. Like I said the trucks not running hot and I just drove it 850 miles up North in MI with no problems. Could this be a sign that the wrong coolant was used or is this smell normal?

-Thanks

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the '03 and up PSDs use the orange coolant, and you can't mix the orange and green together. I believe also there is an additive package that needs to go with the coolant, but seeing that I never had to use the orange stuff, I am not sure. I'd call Ford on that one, or ask one of the 6.0 guys on this site about it.
FYI, there is an extensive article on the 6.0 Ford that covers all the problems and what to do to fix them in the July 2009 of Diesel Power magazine. Read it thoroughly and plan accordingly.
And no, you should not be smelling coolant, that is not normal.
The EGR system on these engines puts a lot of stress on the cooling system, and there was a redesign of the EGR system to deal with it. You'll see it in the article.
Another thing to do is to switch over to Evans Coolant. Doesn't need an additve package or seperate filter, has a super high boiling point and helps manage the heat better in these emission style diesels. Not cheap, but worth every cent.

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the info. I subscribe to Diesel Power and have read every 6.0L related article multiple times. I just like a lot of opinions and info to base my decisions on. I'll call my local Ford dealer and ask them about the coolant smell. It is orangish colored so thats good. I plan to do away with the EGR system completely anway.

-Thanks, Garrett

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online