Transfer Case Clicking Found

EdK

Reaction score
In case others may experience the same problem, I thought I'd post the source of the clicking sound I heard in the tailshaft section of the 241HD transfer case. The plastic center section of the output shaft ball bearing broke and fell out of the bearing assembly. As I rotated the drive shaft by hand, the balls would rotate part way around the bearing, then fall back into one another. The plastic piece keeps the balls spaced evenly around the race.

Apparently, that allowed enough movement of the output shaft to cause the large snap ring that connects the bearing and output shaft housing to break. I'm glad I opted to remove the whole transfer case rather than fight the access slot to that snap ring. I was able to rotate the broken pieces around so they dropped out of the slot, allowing me to remove the tail shaft housing.

While it's apart, I'll have a new bushing pressed into the tail shaft housing because it looks like the excess movement of the output shaft put some wear on the bushing.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions on this problem.

Ed