Tranny Trouble,, Need some Advice

DragRag

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing, you may be running tractor fluid in the trans, it may work fine, bit I use the red stuff myself. I have 5 gallons of the stuff, and used to use it in my back hose trans. Anyway, sounds to me like you just have a front seal leak, drop the trans and replace it, that simple.

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow's, Great advice so far! I put a pan under the truck and caught some juice, it is diesel fuel, now what can i check for? It started to drip as soon as i fired the truck up, so it must be a bad leak. Whats the valley pan, and were should i check first? I also have to check that tranny fluid, it's sure not red! Trouble is i have no idea what the previous owner may have put in, so i assume my best bet would be to drain it and put in new,, whatcha think? If so how much will it hold? Also should i change the filter? :dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow's, Great advice so far! I put a pan under the truck and caught some juice, it is diesel fuel, now what can i check for? It started to drip as soon as i fired the truck up, so it must be a bad leak. Whats the valley pan, and were should i check first? I also have to check that tranny fluid, it's sure not red! Trouble is i have no idea what the previous owner may have put in, so i assume my best bet would be to drain it and put in new,, whatcha think? If so how much will it hold? Also should i change the filter? :dunno

The diesel fuel is coming from either the Injector pump where the line from the filter connects to it or one of the lines from the pump to the injectors are loose or cracked, also the hose on top of the IP . Are the clamps on the lines? Another place would be the hose that crosses over from one bank to the other at the back of the engine. The valley pan is the pan between the heads, it has a screwed in plug with a hole in it for draining, it's located at the rear. If it's leaking that bad , shouldn't be hard to find.

If the tranny is working OK just leave it be, but should be changed at 30K miles. Can you ask the previous owner how long it's been in there? If changing the fluid, you need a 5 gallon bucket of Mercon V ATF or compatable. See the thread in the IDI Tech articals, Flushing a E4OD. No need to replace the filter, see if it's dirty, black or discolored. You can use Synthetic ATF also, but with an old tranny use the semi Synthetic mix ATF, more expensive tho than regular Mercon V ATF.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Always change the tranny filter. It's silly not to. $10 bucks will save $3k down the road.;Really Make sure the O ring comes out with the filter. It has a habit of staying in the pump.:D

Trex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a few pic's of this. It has to be diesel leaking. Now where is this coming from? It looks like the back injector under the glow plug contol, I can see fuel coming around a plastic cap i believe. What are the return line's? What can i do to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    768.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 2

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The plastic caps with the hoses are the return lines. You can get a kit and replace them.

PM either of these guys for the parts.

Type4 or Agnem.